Modifying Fan in existing housing to increase CFM

Old 03-16-13, 01:40 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Modifying Fan in existing housing to increase CFM

Hi,

I rent an apartment that will only provide a 50 CFM fan for a bathroom that requires 70 CFM for area and another 30 CFM for static duct air.

The fan is installed in an 8" housing that fits the Nutone universal replacement 50 CFM motor and fan. The fan itself is a white plastic disc with 90 blades that face down into the bathroom.

Is it possible to install a new fan motor and improved blade system?

Thanks

Old 03-16-13, 02:24 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi rich,
The other approach would be to increase the run time. They make switches with a delayed off cycle to allow a bath exhaust to continue for an adjustable period of time.

The other argument would be to measure the actual flow of what you have and request a fan to meet their stated 50CFM.

Bud

Old 03-16-13, 02:46 PM
R
No Timer involved

The fan is on a basic on/off switch

The landlord already came a replaced the fan, I'm willing to dump a couple of bucks to put the right fan in.... and take it when I leave and put their's back.

Rich

Old 03-16-13, 02:55 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Then, why do you want the larger fan? Typically they are necessary to exhaust the moisture or smells from that area. And typically, just running them with an on/off switch is not sufficient. That is when the timer is added, to allow longer runs without walking away and leaving the fan running.

Just an option, not an argument.
Bud

Old 03-16-13, 03:25 PM
R
Hi Bud,

I really think the fan can't even overcome the static air in the duct work. I can spray air freshener, leave the room with the fan on and door closed for an hour and still smell it. When I take a shower, the mirrors fog to the point of dripping.

No argument intended in the last post, but length of time doesn't matter in this case. I need more power ;-)

Rich

Old 03-16-13, 05:58 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
There are many upgrade fans and motors that can be installed in a lot of different fans. 50 cfm isn't big enough for a 4x4 bathroom.

Old 03-23-13, 10:10 AM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
I'm wondering if the exhaust damper is partially or fully stuck shut. Another problem could be a crushed or obstructed exhaust duct, or a clogged outside discharge vent...
Good luck,
Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: