attic cooling

Old 05-22-13, 04:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
attic cooling

does adding the sticky aluminum or foil sheets between rafters help keep attics cooler by blocking hot air from coming through roof?

Old 05-22-13, 04:56 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nope.
Ridge vents, unblocked soffit vents will though.
How much insulation is in the attic?
Has it been air sealed?
Recommended Levels of Insulation : ENERGY STAR

Old 05-22-13, 05:38 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Although the foil will alter the path it does not stop the heat transfer process into the attic. It is the insulation on the attic floor that slows the transfer of heat into your house. Once you have the appropriate insulation, the benefits of the foil are not worth the costs in your climate.

Bud

Old 05-24-13, 04:13 PM
S
thank you bud but i think you misunderstand. i want to stop the heat transfer from outside of roof into attic.my attic during summer gets very, very warm causing two roof ventilation fans to run almost constantly.

Old 05-25-13, 01:05 AM
S
Stoney,
Multiple scenarios- Look up Radiant Barrier which is what you are referring to I think. Some say yes, some say no. Hotter areas I think is code to have it installed pending construction. They make plywood with it already attached.

Good Ridge venting and proper soffit venting actually work better than the fans.

Some people do spray foam on roof rafters air sealing the attic and making it part of living space (think Cathedral ceilings).

I've seen and read some that people claimed worked great others denied. They attached sheets of reflective rigid board on bottom off all rafters in attic leaving a couple inches at base by soffit open and a couple on top by Ridge vent. This basically made a tunnel to direct most of the heat radiated from roof directly out the ridge while helping block it from getting to open attic area. The attic insulation blocked it from getting to living space under it. Key is PROPER ventilation OR totally sealed.

Radiant Barrier Foils vs Radiant Barrier Plywood

LP Building Products | LP TechShield Radiant Barrier

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: