Cold Cellar Problem

Old 05-30-13, 04:41 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cold Cellar Problem

Hi All,

I moved in to my new house 2 years ago, and didn't realize it had settled quite a bit over this time. The builder had put in a cold cellar for me with a vent, but now the vent is underground (see picture attached where I exposed it).

I understand that Cold Cellars require venting in order to reduce mold growth, however I'm now unsure how I can vent this cold Cellar to the outside. On the left of my porch is driveway, and not enough exposed cellar wall to put in a new vent. On the front of the porch is sidewalk stones (see photo), and to the right of my porch is simply more house. I'm curious what I could do to add ventilation to this cold cellar. Should I 'extend' it with ABS under my front patio stones, and somehow vent it out the wall along my grass..somehow preventing water from getting in or should I vent it back into my basement, and through another exterior wall where I could put vent.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Attached Images  
Old 05-30-13, 05:11 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Joe,
I'm curious, explain what the cold cellar involves, a concrete room underground?? From where do you access it?
My next question is going to be, how does one vent take care of the moisture in that room. I'm thinking air in has to equal air out.

As you can tell, I'm not an expert on this issue .

Bud

Old 05-30-13, 06:19 PM
Y
Hi Bud,

This is simple a concrete room under my porch. Two of the walls are 'interior' in that they are open basement areas on the other sides. The doorway to the basement is in one of the walls.

I read somewhere that two vents (4") are good for different times of the year. This gives you the option of dampening the air coming in during in if you want to. This seems to be the optimal solution, however I would settle for one at this point.

Old 05-30-13, 08:26 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If you have an opening from this space the natural stack effect in winter will drive cold air in low, then up through your home and out, wherever it can find a leak. Cold winter air is dry and should keep the RH down.

But in the summer, if you air condition, the air flow reverses, but the flow is less. That would be driving your cooled and dehumidified air into your cold cellar and out your vent. This should still help to keep the RH down.

However, if you do not run AC in the summer you could have humid summer air flowing into that vent carrying excess moisture that when cooled becomes a very high RH.

I know this is not entirely related to your question, but I thought the background on air flow would be beneficial.

I'll let others deal with where best to direct that vent.

Bud

Old 05-31-13, 04:26 AM
Y
Bud, thanks for the reply. It's all good. I run AC most of the summer months. I just started running it actually this week...29 degrees celcius is waaay tooo hot!

I'm really hoping somebody can help with some direction on this thing.

Old 05-31-13, 05:37 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
can you just run a vent in PVC and paint to match house

Old 05-31-13, 07:49 AM
Y
I think that is the direction I am forced to take. I will put an elbow on the end to point down and put screen on it to keep critters out.
The area it will come out will eventually hold a garden, so it an easily be hidden by a bush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: