Attic Venting Issue

Old 06-10-13, 06:44 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic Venting Issue

I have been trying to resolve a problem with ridge vents, but no soffit vents. I have installed several soffit vents but based on the layout of the house and an addition in the attic there are some interesting issues. Above the garage there was an addition with a section of attic space that is unvented and not accessible. It appears to be roughly a 4 foot triangle. Where is meets the wall it is roof, insulation and ceiling. Can I put soffits vents and install a vent similar to a gable vent near the top of the triangle that is not accessible? Or should I just leave it as is. Thanks for any input and sorry for the length.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-13, 07:26 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Need your location in your profile and some pictures for better ansewers.

Old 06-10-13, 08:05 AM
N
Yes please post some pictures. Good luck, let us know how things are progressing!

Old 06-10-13, 11:39 AM
M
I am in Mississippi. The picture shows roughly where the walls are. There is no circulation between the slanted wall and roof, just insulation. The x marks the spot in question, there is no airflow in that area. I would like to add soffit vents and put a small vent similar to gable vent in the upper corner of the triangle. It has the same layout in the back and I would do the same thing if feasible.

Thank you.

Attached Images  
Old 06-14-13, 06:35 AM
M
Was just checking to see if anyone has an opinion on this.

Thank you.

Old 06-14-13, 06:51 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Been busy, but I'll review the thread and see if I can add anything. I always thought that when I retired I would have more time, NOT! I'll be back.

Bud

Old 06-14-13, 07:03 AM
B
From the picture it looks like a standard cape cod, where the soffits would normally provide air flow into the side attics then up the slope above some insulation and out a ridge or gable vent. From your description, there is no path up the slope so you want to add small gable vents on both ends to provide exits for soffit vents.

They make gable vents for those locations, but the ones I looked at had very little net free area (10%), so check any you look at. Roof vents are another option.

I assume the finished space above the attic is getting hot and you are hoping to reduce that side attic temperature? Is the other side already vented?

Bud

Old 06-14-13, 07:34 AM
M
Actually this all started when I realized our bathroom vents went into the attic. While I was fixing that issue I realized we had a ridge vent but no soffit vents. I have been adding the soffit vents but noticed that there the house does not have those plastic things that allow airflow between the insulation and roof. I have added them where I can, but there is no access where the x on the picture is unless I make one. There are several areas on the second floor where this occurs, it was added after the house was built. I was also just wondering since that are has been that way for at least 20 years should I just leave and take car of the rest of the attic. Thank you for your input.

Old 06-14-13, 10:05 AM
B
If the space over the garage is too warm and venting is intended to cool it a bit, then maybe. But that side looks well shaded and otherwise there is little reason to add ventilation. A few soffit vents will provide a trickle of air up through the insulation and help the area at the top to change air.

Bud

Old 06-14-13, 01:01 PM
M
I would like to do that, but was just worried about putting soffit vents in with no way for the air to escape. I thought that this could lead to moisture getting in and having no where to go. Thanks again for all the advise.