To HRV or not to HRV ? (smoking)

Old 09-02-13, 03:19 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
To HRV or not to HRV ? (smoking)

Hi all,
We're looking for some energy saving approach to what we currently use to 'handle' our smoking habit (yes, we're gonna quit, but not yet)

2-story house with a boiler and in-floor heat on the main, and an air handler with in/out ducting on the 2nd floor plus return only ducting in the bedrooms on the main floor. The 2 bathrooms have their own exhaust fans to the outside walls. Location is near Thunder Bay, ON (north of Minneapolis, east of Winnipeg)

The 'smoking room' upstairs has a big Honeywell air cleaner plus we leave the window open with a floor-fan hanging in it blowing out. The supply/return ducts and door are closed off. In the winter, this room will drop down to near freezing and we use a supplemental electric heater.

The simple answer is .. quit smoking.

Other than that, can anyone recommend some type of HRV system that might help out ? I heard they will eliminate all the smoke. Can we use it year-round ? Our temperature range is -30 to +30c (-25 to 85f).

Thanks for any info..

Old 09-03-13, 04:48 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Nothing going to be better than a fan in the window!

Old 03-24-14, 04:54 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thought maybe Id get a coupla more thoughts.. so a bump.

The fan does work, and because the room is more or less "sealed off", air gets blown out - mixes with cold air outside and comes back in around the fan perimeter. Sorta like an HRV but without the HR part (lol).

Would some type of single room HRV make this room a little more comfortable in the winter (and we're sucking up electricity with the aux heater in here) ?
And how about summer when it gets hot in here -I guess an HRV isnt going to help much there...

Old 03-24-14, 11:16 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Dave, I think the forum didn't want to repeat what you already know. I quit about 45 years ago and do understand the difficulty.
But a smoking room is at least a step in the right direction. You will want to keep if at a negative pressure to ensure all the air inside is eventually vented out. A HRV will recover about 50 to 70% the energy lost from exhausting that air. The actual cost of that heat loss is not insignificant so the HRV will pay part of its cost.
In the summer, you can probably revert to just opening a window.

To help with the winter heating cost, check the insulation above and on the outside wall. A storm window always helps and I have played with rigid insulation board, other than foam, to cover the windows from the inside. A single window can equal the heat loss from the entire wall where it is installed. In one test I installed a one foot square piece of plexy to provide some natural light. Be sure any window you cover can still be used as an egress if needed.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: