Does my bathroom exhaust fan suck?

Old 09-09-13, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Does my bathroom exhaust fan suck?

Hello! New home owner here. I have been exploring my home little by little. Recently I took off the cover from my bathroom exhaust fan and found this. It looks like it's crappy, but the fan DOES turn... Anyone able to weigh in on how to tell if I need to replace my exhaust fan?
Name:  IMG_20130825_094714_509-2.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  44.6 KB

Old 09-09-13, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 304 Posts
Changing out an exhaust fan can be a big job as many require access to the attic unless you buy one that is designed for retrofitting.

An easy fix might be a fan upgrade kit like this: 690NT Bath Fan Upgrade Kit -Bath and Ventilation Fans - NuTone. I have seen them at the big orange store, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere. Check them out to see if they will fit your existing housing.

Old 09-09-13, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
The fan itself is about to fall out anyway, so if you unplug the fan and remove the screw just behind the plug you can remove the fan unit. As Tolyn said you may can buy a better retrofittable fan that will work better.

Old 09-09-13, 08:57 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom exhaust fan leads nowhere

Just recently inherited a home built in the late 1950's. No more renting Anyway, I was investigating the loud noise coming from the exhaust fan. Took off the vent cover (it looked like a return vent for the heater). There was a small Dayton blower nailed to the beam, between the joists. Nothing else. No ducting leading to the outside at all. The blower was just blowing air into the garage ceiling. I was able to investigate further because the garage drywall ceiling was torn down. Because the house was flooded. Anyway, I found the little 3 inch vent on the outside of the house, but there was no way to connect to it. As cement was blocking it. Sticking my head up in between the joists, I could see where they actually made a hole for the round duct to pass through. But there was no way for me to fix it right. No way for me to chisel through the cement blocking the vent. (Seems the builder realized this, and just nailed a blower in the ceiling, just to satisfy the building inspectors). Lastly, I came up with a brilliant idea to make good use of the vent grill. I installed a little bathroom heater in there. As it is just a 1/2 bathroom in the basement. And it gets cold in there. Also installed a line voltage thermostat on the wall. So the heater would only come on when it was needed.

Old 09-10-13, 03:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Metalmoto, too bad you didn't solve the problem of exhausting air from the bathroom, which is all important. Heaters are good to have, but create good atmospheres for mold to grow without the exhaust fan. I would consider installing an exhaust fan.

Old 09-14-13, 02:48 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
That doesn't look like the correct blade for that fan, which looks like a Broan or Nutone unit. You can buy a new insert that has a new motor and blower wheel that will fit that unit. I believe big orange has them.
Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: