Cold air return question

Old 09-27-13, 06:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cold air return question

I'm getting ready to remove a wall in my kitchen/dining room area for an open concept layout. Currently there is a small cold air return on the wall to be removed and one on an ajacent wall. When I remove the wall with one of the return vent, should I increase the opening on the remaining wall vent to offset the loss of the other? Both vents are the stud bay type of vent.
Also, when I block off the vent at the floor after the wall is removed (since it is a stud bay type) do I need to do anything at the point where the vent is intake at the air handler? Thanks.

Old 11-20-13, 08:32 AM
D
This is the first time I've ever posted a question on this site and received no replies. Guess I've been lucky up until now.

Old 11-20-13, 09:27 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi dalee, I'm not the one you need, but I do miss a lot of posts in my specialty. If no reply, it never hurts to bump it up as you just did so those in this field can get a look at it.

To get you started, my perspective is that most forced air systems were never designed correctly to start with. Your total return area should be equal or (better) greater than the supply. As we have learned more about indoor air quality (IAQ) we now want to see returns in every room that has a supply. While you are in the construction phase it might be good to take a wider view just in case it is easier to make the improvements now.

BTW, I have those cavity returns, called panned returns. They leak a lot and create an imbalance in air pressure that forces some warm air to the outside while pulling cold air in. A well balanced system reduces your cost and increases the comfort level.

Bud

Old 11-29-13, 10:58 AM
D
Bud, thanks for the reply. I will take you comments into consideration as I go forward with the project.

Old 11-30-13, 03:36 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
There shout never be a return in a kitchen. Against code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: