What type of contractor can install a bathroom exhaust fan

Old 11-08-13, 04:16 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of contractor can install a bathroom exhaust fan

Trying to find someone who can install a bathroom fan...I've looked on yelp to find a contractor but most tell me they don't do small jobs and are more into the remodeling/renovation type stuff. So how do people usually find smaller contractors for stuff like this? Don't have any friends/family in construction & am a new homeowner.

Old 11-08-13, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Often a local 'handyman' can be hired for small jobs..... but this is a diy site we can walk you thru it if you want to do it yourself.

Old 11-08-13, 05:15 AM
I
I know what's involved more or less; the main issue I would have is how to get it to vent to the outside. Low pitch roof. So it's not that I'm not willing to work through stuff, I just know that when it comes to me & DIY, I take forever. And half the time I'm not satisfied with my work. Just don't wanna mess around since our bathroom is putting out a good deal of moisture since we have the windows sealed. Rather pay someone to do it right once & for all than have to worry about mold down the line.

So how would you find a reputable ventilation-specific handyman? Someone who will actually do a good job as opposed to someone who thinks all they're doing is stuffing a fan into the ceiling.

Old 11-08-13, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
how would you find a reputable ventilation-specific handyman?
That's the hard part asking friends, neighbors and co workers is a good place to start AND always check references!!

Old 11-08-13, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
Since an electrician would be needed to run the wires and hook it up. I suggest starting calling a few and see if they will run the duct-work and vent. Electricians know about making penetrations through roofs. Many will, or will "know a guy" who will and include his work in the cost. I have done it both ways.

Old 11-13-13, 08:01 AM
I
Is there any issue with venting the fan into the plumbing stack to save a roof penetration?

Old 11-13-13, 08:47 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is there any issue with venting the fan into the plumbing stack to save a roof penetration?
i
Yes, a code violation. A sewer stack lets air IN. A vent line pushes air OUT. A sewer stack prevents a vacuum that could empty a trap of its water seal by letting air in. The exhaust vent could actually do the opposite.

Old 11-13-13, 12:50 PM
I
Thanks...was thinking the same thing....and that method was brought up by a contractor....

Last edited by IBreakStuff; 11-13-13 at 01:06 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: