Rang Hood Blower

Old 12-17-13, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rang Hood Blower

I'm designing and building a range hood myself. Don't want to use an purchased insert type of unit from Vent-A-Hood, Broan, or anybody else.

I believe I want to use an internal centrifugal blower. Don't like the idea of an inline, and not sure about the external types either.

I'm Looking for around 300 CFM or better.

I have looked at several blowers mainly Dayton and Fasco, but I'm not sure if they will last if installed in the hood or attic where temperatures can get above the 104 max ambient specifications.

I found several low profile centrifical blowers that were recommended for range hoods, but they had low CFM ratings.

Does anybody have recommendations on Make/Model blowers?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-13, 02:37 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would use this style of fan:

http://www.solerpalau-usa.com/Brochu...ercial/CWD.pdf

It takes the noise outside, and makes cleaning and service easier. In fact, the link I direct you to depicts a fan that was designed by Jenn Air back in the 1950's. The division has been sold several times, but this exact fan remains in production today. My own experience has shown that these fans are tough and reliable.
Andy

Old 12-19-13, 12:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
The blower that Andrew linked to looks like a good choice and it you go that route you'll need grease catching filters inside the house to keep the grease out of that unit.

Old 12-19-13, 11:02 AM
Fan & Filter

Yes, I like the fan type that Andy suggested. because it gives me a lot of flexibly with the hood design. As far as a grease catching filter, I was planning on using a disposable filter instead of a washable type, similar to what you would put in an HVAC unit. There are multiple types and sizes of filters available. And I would cover the filter with a grille with high aesthetic characteristics like copper or bronze.

I built the cabinetry in the kitchen using Red River Birch, the wood has a lot of mineral streaks and color variations resulting in a very rich rustic look. The hood is going to be made of the same material. The copper or bronze grille would contrast well with the wood. And LED Light Strips will be used under the hood.

Old 12-19-13, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds really nice! One thing to consider is that normal HVAC disposable filters may not be safe to use in a kitchen hood, due to fire concerns, and the fact that they are not designed to trap grease. I also assume you are installing a metal liner under the wooden hood exterior?
Andy

Old 12-23-13, 11:02 AM
Yea, my son pointed out the fire hazard. (he's the smart one) but it Looks like I'm not going to use the side wall mounted exhaust-er. the attac and wall layout doesn't facilitate that unit very well. I looked into a roof mounted exhauster, and their pretty expensive, and I really don't want to put another hole in my roof. Looks like I'm going back to the idea of using a Dayton or Fasco Centrifugal Fan, I plan to mount the fan in the attic, and cover it with an insulated box, then I will tap into the suction side of the fan to draw ambient air from withing the house into the box while the fan is running. I'm going to vent the exhaust out the soffit overhang of the roof. I'm wondering if there is a fire proof board type material that can be used vs a metal liner?

Old 12-23-13, 02:01 PM
talked to a contractor today, said he has built a couple of range hoods this way, and they worked out good. Build the carcass structure of plywood, and line the inside with 5/16 hardy cement board. The hardy board is available through most building suppliers, and it produces a thermal barrier between the heat and the wood. It can be easily worked, seal the joints with grout, and paint as needed.

Old 12-23-13, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It should not be vented out the soffit!
Fumes will be sucked right back into the attic if that roof is vented properly.
Gable end if it's close by or out the roof.