Cutting Hole for Vent in 2nd floor rim joist?

Old 01-07-14, 01:35 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting Hole for Vent in 2nd floor rim joist?

I posted this in a forum on framing, but just realized it might be more appropriate here......

We are building a house and we are looking to vent the range vent hood outside. What I am wondering, is if we can vent the hood out where I have circled in red in the image. It requires a 6" hole to be cut to the outside (rim joist is a 2x12). The wall is on the non-gabled end of the house. And in case it isn't obvious, this is the first floor and the duct would run in the joist space on the right hand side of the picture. There is a 2nd floor above this as well (which is probably obvious) Is this doable or do we need to consider another solution?

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-14, 01:49 PM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
Will it violate any building codes?
Just my opinon. I don't see why not. It being a corner privides extra stability. You could even add some 2 x 4 vertial bracing to make up for the large hole for the pipe.

What are those pipes running right across the red circle? Or are those elctrical lines that can be moved?

Old 01-07-14, 01:57 PM
B
I don't know if it will violate any codes. I've got an email into the building department to find that out, but I can't see what it would. The little pipes are actually water lines for the upstairs bathroom. They should be able to reroute those without too much of a problem. I figure adding extra bracing would be no problem at all as well.

Old 01-09-14, 10:22 AM
R
There are codes regarding the size of holes in joists... max 1/3 the height IIRC.
What are the guidelines for holes in joists? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange
However being the rim joist, an supported on bottom I don't know if that is different.
Key is talking to the county inspector.

Also - are you saying there will be a long horizontal run? I'm not sure if you will want to do that w/ range vents, as they could potentially contain grease or other crap that will accumulate over time.
Again the county guy will tell you.

Old 01-09-14, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 940 Votes on 858 Posts
As was mentioned in the other post... the rim joist is not like a floor joist as far as holes are concerned. Bottom line is what your inspector will approve so ask him if ypu don't want to believe us.

Old 01-09-14, 10:53 AM
B
thanks guys. the building inspector OKed the hole when I sent him a picture of where we intended to cut.

Old 01-09-14, 10:58 AM
B
The horizontal run is maybe 10 feet so it's still pretty short in comparison to what they wanted to originally with the ducting.

Old 01-19-14, 07:06 AM
B
so my building still saying they would have to build a bump out below the floor joists to accommodate the ducting. I've got a call into him, but have not heard back yet, as to why. Can any of of you think of any reasons why running a duct in that gap wouldn't be allowed? I can't come up with one for the life of me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: