best tool for cutting dryer vent pipe in tight confined space is?

Old 03-23-14, 02:49 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
best tool for cutting dryer vent pipe in tight confined space is?

what are the best tools for cutting vent pipe in a tight confined space? what is the best way to cut out a section of dryer vent pipe when it is against a stud on one side and drywall on the back side. no room to push/pull a hack saw. I am inserting a second inline lint trap and a booster blower motor to increase air flow in a long run of dryer vent. trying to figure the best way to cut metal vent pipe in tight quarters.

Old 03-23-14, 02:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sawzall.

Old 03-23-14, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Remove the vent and cut properly with tin snips... ( We are talking ridgid pipe? Semi ridgid?)

A sawzall will just tear it to shreads...

( SRY RAY)...

Old 03-23-14, 03:20 PM
R
aluminum pipe

it's thin aluminum pipe. cant get access to tape joints , just center section of vent pipe. and not enough room to use a hack saw.

Old 03-23-14, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Why do you have to mount it there? Can't you mount the blower at a higher location away from the confines? I have mounted the boosters at the height of the dryer, then back down to the exit point. Makes for easier cleaning of the trap, too. Tin snips get my vote.

Old 03-23-14, 04:41 PM
R
the blower is going up in attic where dryer vent pipe is fully exposed. it is the extra lint trap that I'm installing above dryer for easy daily access for clean out. The only place this one can go is in one spot in our laundry room above some cabinets. So the vent pipe is hidden in the wall. I opened the wall above the cabinet, but the confined space has the pipe tight against a stud on one side and drywall on back side. I'm thinking that I'll need some sort of disk cutting blade on a dremmial or something like that to cut the vent pipe. if use tin snipes, how do you start first cut on a round pipe?

Old 03-23-14, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,613 Votes on 1,485 Posts
You need to drill hole anytime you use tin snips in the middle of the stock. At least as big as one of the snips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: