Allergies, black "dust", and musty odors in certain rooms; Mold?


  #1  
Old 03-26-14, 10:09 AM
J
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Allergies, black "dust", and musty odors in certain rooms; Mold?

My parents and I moved into my grandmother's house in 1999 (when I was 11 years old). During the summer of 2000, we had tons of rain and had water damage in my bedroom. During the Autumn of 2000, I was complaining of a scratchy throat. It turns out we had black mold from the rain and my room had to be remediated.

Over the years, water has seeped into our basement in puddles (we do have three sump pumps) through a crack in the front stoop on the sidewalk to the front door (I think caused by snow melting and refreezing, since the front faces the north).

The basement is mostly non organic material (cement and linoleum tiles) except for the steps to the ground floor (carpeting and dry wall more towards the opposite wing).

We have had flooding in our basement during several summer storms
1. 2003 (Isabel) 4 inches of water
2. June 2006 (We had 12 inches of rain for the month)
3. Summer of 2008 (Hot and rainy)
4. Summer of 2011 (Very hot and rainy)
5. 2012 (Sandy; About 1/8 of an inch of water in the basement)

I have a confirmed dust mite allergy (extremely severe).
I have been complaining of constant sinus issues for at least the last 2.5 years.

In the early spring my bedroom smells (like a locker room) and causes me to get a nauseating headache.

There are a few room that smell a little "stale" or "musty".
1. The kitchen (the window well to the north is directly under the kitchen). The kitchen smells like rotting wet leaves

2. The north wing of the basement (During the winter, the odor is hardly noticeable, but in the summer, the basement gets as warm as 77 degrees with 80 percent humidity; even with a 15 gallon dehumidifier that fills up 2 to 3 times per day)

3. My bedroom (in the south side of the house), smells dank in the early spring on a warm day.

4. My parents' bedroom (The house was built in the 1940s, and the attic is a walk in attic in that bedroom). I noticed a place on the wallpaper that peeled back and there was some "black stuff" behind the wallpaper.

What do you think is wrong?
 
Attached Images      

Last edited by John_the_Botrys; 03-26-14 at 10:26 AM.
  #2  
Old 03-26-14, 11:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 48,078
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I know what your question is
Mold needs moisture and heat to survive. The source of water needs to be stopped! The longer mold is left to fester the worse it will get. There comes a point where mold can no longer be cleaned and the material needs to be replaced.
 
  #3  
Old 03-26-14, 12:10 PM
J
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does this look like toxic black mold or Stackybotrys (spelling)?

Sorry about the rambling post. I just want to know if the mold in these pictures are the toxic variety.
 
  #4  
Old 03-26-14, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 48,078
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The mold on the siding isn't a big deal and should easily wash off with a bleach/water mixture. I think all molds are toxic but to varying degrees. I'm not sure you can identify or say how bad it is for sure without testing. Some folks are more susceptible to mold than others.
 
  #5  
Old 03-26-14, 01:32 PM
airman.1994's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,795
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Correct you can not tell by looking. Stachy would not be as likely as other more common molds I would get on to cleaning it up sooner than later.. A 15 pint dehumidifier is way to small for any home that doesn't have moisture issues. You need to be looking into a good dehumidifier like Santa Fe - Advance2
 
  #6  
Old 03-27-14, 06:28 AM
J
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stachybotrys toxins not always present

I watched a YouTube video on Stachybotrys chartarum from IAQNetwork, and it states that the presence of Stachybotrys doesn't always mean the mold toxins are always there.

Today for example, it is cold outside but the wind died down.

I've turned the natural gas furnace thermostat down to 63 or 64 for heat and the humidistat down from 35 percent to 20 percent.

Much better air quality. The basement has cooled down to 61 degrees with 60 percent humidity.
 
  #7  
Old 03-27-14, 09:36 AM
airman.1994's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,795
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Humidity way to high. You need to get that down asap.
 
  #8  
Old 03-28-14, 11:46 AM
J
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air quality went way south today

We just had some rain today after Monday's snowfall. Outside its 60 degrees with 75 percent humidity.


I feel extremely nauseous in every room except for the back guest bedroom (separate heat pump)

The furnace is in the basement.

I'm guessing there is some toxic mold growing in the furnace and recirculating spores in the ducts.
I have had numerous sinus infections and fungal infections over the last 6 months.
 
  #9  
Old 03-28-14, 01:50 PM
airman.1994's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,795
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
So when are you going to get the air tested?
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: