Loud exhaust fan in bathroom...

Old 03-31-14, 07:51 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Loud exhaust fan in bathroom...

We have a very small bathroom in the bonus room with a loud fan. I took it down tonight and plugged it into a wall outlet and it didn't seem loud at all. I looked at the rating on the metal that housed the fan and it was rated at 2 sones (and given the little noise I heard, I'd say that's about right).

However, when it's placed in the housing, it's quite loud when turned on. I think the issue causing this is it's trying to suck air into a small opening (I'm guessing 2" in diameter at best).

Is there anything that can be done to make it a little quieter? The area where the housing is is next to impossible to get to given it's location in the attic. I wouldn't even want to attempt it, so doing anything "from above" is out of the question. The fan is rated at 50 CFM / 2 sones.

FAN Photos by hikerguy1 | Photobucket

Thanks,

Andy

Old 03-31-14, 08:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Have you considered shimming between the fan and it's metal enclosure with rubber pads?

Old 04-01-14, 04:48 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Be sure to check for a damper in the housing and be sure the outside damper is open and air is flowing. 2" sounds very small, even for 50 cfm.

Where does this exit the house?

Bud

Old 04-01-14, 12:45 PM
H
I'm not sure if I could get rubber shims in there, but it's not that it's rattling around. It's just that it's very loud due to the small hole it's sucking the air into.

The damper seems to be working fine in the housing. It exits out a vent on the side of the house. I thought that opening looked very small as well.

Andy

Old 04-01-14, 12:55 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Is there a shower in the bathroom? If you don't really need the full 50cfm, put the fan on a dimmer switch and dial it down.

Old 04-02-14, 10:55 AM
H
Yes, there is a shower. Not sure about the dimmer option. I think it may still be loud.

Old 04-02-14, 11:32 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If the fan was designed to work with that small of an exhaust duct it should be able to do so, quietly.

You said it exhausts out the side of the house, but have you actually checked to be sure air is flowing? I have found all sorts of obstructions in ducts from rodents to wasps nests.

Also, is the bathroom door air tight (so to speak)? There needs to be a good supply of air for the fan to not be loaded down. Try the fan with the door open and closed.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: