Dehumidifyer But Wanting To Just Use A Ducted Fan

Old 04-03-14, 07:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dehumidifyer But Wanting To Just Use A Ducted Fan

Been running a dehumidifier for years in the basement, and with the cost of electricity I thought I would construct a powered duct system, with a timer vented out doors with a low CFM fan to facilitate a draw off the basement floor. I have no real water problems, just gets a humid down there in the summer. The walls do have humidity resistant paint on them. Any suggestions here as to blower CFM, or size, four or six inch? To do or not to do ? This is your typical basement with washer dryer and the HVAC system present. Approximately 45' X 30.

Thanks

Old 04-03-14, 09:15 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The question is, where is the humidity coming from? Since you say it is a summer problem I would think much of it is coming from the outside humidity. A typical home exchanges all of its inside air every 2 to 3 hours and when that air reaches a cooler basement, the RH goes up. Yes, there is probably some moisture coming through the floor and walls, but most is just air leakage. Adding an exhaust only fan will just increase that, as an equal volume has to enter somewhere.
If you air condition during the summer, air sealing and insulating the basement and then including it within the conditioned space with the ac will solve the moisture problem. Maybe not the electric bill problem.

Bud

Old 04-03-14, 08:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bud, I see your point.

Old 04-04-14, 06:19 AM
Received 319 Votes on 286 Posts
John,

The electric bill not withstanding, why not just get a larger capacity dehumidifier? A/C'ing the basement will only deflect that cool air from being sent up to thel living quarters.

Just a comment...many people say a dehumidifier is a big waste of money and is like running a refrigerator with the door open. That's true, but it's also the cost of living and maintaining a dry basement and preserving anything you store in the basement.

Old 04-04-14, 10:53 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Santa Fe - Basement and Crawlspace Dehumidifiers Twice the capacity with half the energy of most off the shelf units.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: