Need to fit/install a new 90 degree register box... Advice?

Old 05-07-14, 03:18 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to fit/install a new 90 degree register box... Advice?

I need some advice on installing a new register box. The register box in our (first floor) living room it turns out, was never actually connected to the ductwork! The lazy contractor who originally installed it, put the (regular straight) box in the ceiling, ran ducts in a second floor closet a couple feet away up to the attic and put a 90 in the floor pointing (in the general direction) at the register box. Turns out for years we've been cooling the empty space between the floor boards. (And I finally understand why there was never good flow from that box lol.)

All of our flex ducts and ductwork are/(were originally) 7 inches. But there is only 7" of space between the first floor ceiling and the second floor. Will I find a 90 register box with basically no takeout? I guess I could make it a 6" box, still would be hard to find one that would fit and I'm not sure of that would effect the flow/equilibrium of the system (although anything will be better than what it was).

Other solutions would be welcome, it's not a problem to open up as much floor or ceiling as necessary to get it installed. It's crazy how one little project becomes tearing apart the entire house (which luckily we're in the process of doing anyway).

Thanks

Edit: looking at another of out vents, it's seems they used a small box (like a return box) and cut in a 6 or 7 inch starting collar. Although the ceiling is lower in the kitchen than the living room I guess that would be a viable option? Of course now I'm going to rip apart that one as well just to see where else they may have gotten lazy.

Last edited by EvanVanVan; 05-07-14 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links