swapping out section of round duct for rectangular on gravity furnace

Old 07-08-14, 07:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
swapping out section of round duct for rectangular on gravity furnace

I just purchased a 1927 home with a gravity furnace. While I'd love to replace the whole thing it's not in the budget right now. Anyhow.

One section of the duct work goes through a basement rec room. Because of the low ceiling, it's a perfect head smacking height.

Would it be good idea/safe to swap that section out for rectangular duct work so it's closer to the ceiling, of if I can, place it between the joists.

Thanks.

Old 07-10-14, 01:52 PM
S
Can anyone help out with this question?

Old 07-10-14, 02:09 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Gravity furnaces work on the principle that warm air rises. They require large duct area and a continuous rise from the furnace to the outlet register. If you can accomplish this, i.e. the same cross-sectional duct area and continuous rise, then it should be okay. If you decrease the duct area or have it go up and then down all bets are off.

Old 07-10-14, 04:03 PM
S
Thank you!!!

So basically I need to calculate the current area that I would be replacing and make sure I'm getting the same area from with width of the rectangular duct.

Old 07-10-14, 09:59 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
That is correct. I'll add that while I rarely suggest duct fans this is one time that installing a duct fan may help and also allow you to use a somewhat smaller round duct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: