Need passive through wall vent..

Old 07-13-14, 02:12 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need passive through wall vent..

Hi,

I need to add a vent to a storage area (pantry) that simply goes through the wall. It gets too hot since it's on an outside wall when the door is closed. I'd like to cut a hole above the door, slide in a sleeve with vent attached, go to the other side and attach another vent to the sleeve and done.

The problem is that I don't know what that would be called. I've searched various terms but can't find what I'm looking for. Can anyone point me to where they can be found.

Thanks!

Old 07-13-14, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You could buy a section of rectangular ducting the size of the vent covers, say 4x10, and cut it to 6" in length, then cut the corners at an angle, bending up about 3/4" on each end on all 4 edges, insert it into the hole and attach your covers. The covers will screw into the metal flange you formed in the ducting. I would consider placing one at the bottom and one at the top of the wall, since hot air rises, you will need some place for it to go, allowing cooler air to enter the bottom.

Poor excuse for a drawing:

Name:  duct.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  5.7 KB

Old 07-13-14, 04:16 PM
D
Thanks, I guess I could do that, was hoping I could be lazy and get something already designed to do it if wasn't too much more money. Even door slat would be good (then I wouldn't have to worry about the framing above the door. There is a good size gap at the bottom off the tile so cool air would come in there.

Next house, I want to ensure the panty is only on inside walls.

Old 07-21-14, 05:53 PM
P
If you use rectangular vents, you could just box it in with wood.
And, or insulate the exterior wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: