black mold in duct work

Old 07-13-14, 09:50 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
black mold in duct work

Our a/c guy we've used for 20 years (we trust him) found black mold in our duct work today. My husband took a picture of it.

He recommended a company that wants to use Sporicidin on the ductwork after a "brushing" process. I don't like the sound of any of it. Doesn't the brushing process just spread the mold?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-14-14, 12:02 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
This is a question for the airman, he deals with this situation often. It might take a few days for him to respond.

Old 07-14-14, 05:40 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You want a company that will put the duct under negative pressure with a vacuum truck or with a portable machine. This will pull any mold/dirt out of the duct when it gets air borne. If the duct is duct board or lined they need to brush it with a vacuum or use whips on it. Using anything aggressive will tear the insulation to shreds. I have never used Sporicidin. I have my own prejudice against them because of past lawsuits they have been in. (I Think they have worked this out). Make sure that it is EPA approved for use inside of HVAC systems. We use BBJ because it is EPA approved.

Old 07-14-14, 12:26 PM
D
Thanks Airman. The guy came out this morning, and he said they brush it, use Sporicidin, and then they seal it. How do we know that the mold is gone??? He said they don't re-check it.

Everything I've read online says these products that kill mold are only for metal ductwork and not those insulated with fiberglass like ours.

Airman, I talked to someone at the NAIMA, and he said they recommend replacement, not using chemicals. What do you think?

Old 07-14-14, 06:59 PM
D
We've been having a sewer gas smell (our. neighbor said it smells like rotten eggs) in our master bathroom since we moved in 3 weeks ago. Could mold be causing this smell? Plumbers are stumped by the problem. They said it makes no sense.

Old 07-17-14, 01:22 PM
Mold could cause the smell but I would think it would be more of a musty smell. Yes most say don't spray on lined duct. (they recommend replacing because mold could still be in the liner, but if it is coated after it is treated then I don't see an issue) We still do it all the time. Now if it is a lot of mold yes we will recommend replacing it. Just never liked the idea of replacing duct for just a small amount of mold. Did they tell you what they will coat it with? Like the Sporicidin there are many coatings. The Best is Foster 40-20 nothing comes close.

Old 07-17-14, 08:35 PM
D
Airman, they didn't say what they seal it with. We have decided to have that section of ductwork replaced. There was just a softball-sized area, and an area that is maybe a couple of feet long, and it is very thin.

Old 07-18-14, 04:22 AM
Sounds great! Good luck! I hope it fixes your odor issue as well

Old 07-18-14, 06:44 AM
M
i had a serious mold problem in a foreclosed house i bought a few years back. as you know, it's very serious and especially in duct work. I would get a mold remediation expert in to look at it and do some testing. anyone who looks at mold and identifies it without testing is no being responsible. also, when I remediated the problem my best source for remediation was the New York City School System which published a paper sometime around 1999 or 2000 on mold remediation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: