fresh air question for furnace

Old 07-17-14, 11:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fresh air question for furnace

Hi was hoping to get some advice,I have a house that was built in 2001its 1500 Square feet water tank is electric has high effiecent furnace that has 2 black abs pipes going outside i assume one is fresh air for combustion and the other is exhuast .I also have a big flex insulated duct bringing fresh air in the furnace room runs down to the cold air return and runs halfway up so in the winter its cold in that room,I also have another flex insulated duct running in the middle of my basement going from outside into the cold air return.My question the flex duct going into the cold air duct isnt that bringing in humid air the summer making my air conditioner work harder and bring dry air into the house in the winter?If i block off the duct going into the cold air return will the on duct in the furnace room provide enough fresh air into my house or will i have problems?Thanks for the help

Old 07-17-14, 12:44 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I would need more details, but your question is typical when you buy a home where someone else went through the required air exchange. Newer air tight homes do not provide sufficient fresh air to remove indoor pollutants, so some method of introducing that fresh air is installed. The better method, which costs more, is a heat recovery ventilator. It exhausts inside air through a heat exchanger to pre-condition the incoming air. Some will exchange moisture as well if appropriate in your climate.

For now, you should leave what you have in place and start the process of determining just how tight your home is and how much fresh air you really need. Chances are good that you can do a better job than they did, at a price.

The $64,000 is, did the home come with any instructions?? LOL, they rarely do. Check in the utility room for any energy related paperwork.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: