Running duct from living room area to bedrooms

Old 09-23-14, 08:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running duct from living room area to bedrooms

Well, I have a wood stove in my basement which does an amazing job heating all the main living areas of the entire house. The house is a 1978 raised ranch that was previously closed off, but after an entire gut of the house, we have opened up the house, and there are no walls in the main living areas. So I put a vent in the floor for the basement to allow more heat upstairs, because the upstairs could be a comfortable 75 degrees, but the basement will still be around 90. I figure I could run some ducting from the living room to the bedrooms to disperse the heat into the bedrooms so I don't have to run the oil furnace. The wood stove is capable of heating 2500sq ft which is just under double the house size, and I also have a pellet stove in the living room that is capable of heating a house 3 times the size of mine.

I saw the major problems with this idea was that getting the proper air flow out of the rooms to allow the warm air to get in. I figure the space at the bottoms of the doors would allow for the proper circulation. There used to be capet, but now with hardwood, there is probably an inch gap through the 36" width of the doors.

Now, my question is what size duct work should I run?

The bedrooms are 11x10, 13x10, 13x14 (maybe larger, and my daughter has hidden my tape measure).

I plan on putting an in duct fan controlled by a thermostat. I figured the bigger the better, but not sure. I was going to get the insulated flexible style, and cover it with a little more insulation.

Anything else I should know before doing this?

Old 09-24-14, 05:35 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
with out a heat load its just a guess. Id say 150 cfm would be close. that would be 7in in metal or 8-10 inch in flex

Old 09-24-14, 06:19 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how would i calculate a heat load?

Old 09-25-14, 01:31 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Heat load is a manual J. Think there are a few web sites that you can use for $50

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: