Smell from return ducts

Old 10-02-14, 07:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smell from return ducts

Good morning! I have a question about smell coming out of my return ducts in my living room. I have read the threads I could find related to this, but never posted a question before,I'll try to give as much detail as possible - hope its not too much- lol! Every fall, for at least 3 years now, when I turn off the air conditioning in my house there is a smell that comes from the returns in my living room. I would say a musty or just dust type smell. It gives me headaches and is just plain embarrassing! The ac was off for 2 days and all the sudden it is back! Couldn't handle it so turned ac back on but now wasting $ . I live with 2 guys that do hvac for a living and we have tried to figure out the problem but no luck! When the heat is turned on for initial start up the smell seems worse but then seems to go away. The coils have been cleaned, filters changed routinely, looked into ducts with cameras and those are fairly clean as well. So now I have been looking into ozone machines to put in duct but not sure on safety. The returns have boots on them but the rest of the return is just the 2x4's til it connects to the main duct in the basement. The wierd thing is that the basement does not have the smell when you go down there, and other rooms upstairs have only a faint smell! Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?! I'm concerned that maybe smell is always there and just not as noticeable when the system is running. Thank you!

Old 10-02-14, 12:44 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Well the smell is either coming from the crawl space our the HVAC system. If the flex is sealed and connected properly id say to start with replacing the flex lines to that room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: