What trade does vent / duct repair work?

Old 12-04-14, 11:26 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
What trade does vent / duct repair work?

my mom is buying house with issues and looks like she may be getting cash to fix things instead of the seller fixing them. i have no idea who to call or how much this will cost. any ballparks would be appreciated so when the realtor comes back i can make a guess.

1 dryer is vented vertically to the ceiling them horizontally though the adjacent garage i estimate to be 25 ft long. there is 4 inch PVC pipe in there that is cut half way through the garage attic (there's a pie pan under there and it leaked into the garage.. real nice!). my guess is some kind of collar needs to be placed there to reconnect the pipe. then at the front of the garage, there's a 90 turn and it runs 15ft to the side of the house where its currently disconnected to the outside vent. i didnt get a good look at it but looks like maybe 5 ft after the rigid pipe ends needs added and joined to the vent

2. currently at least one of the flexible ducts from one of the bathrooms is not connected to outside, i thikn the hose is ripped. i'm unsure of the access to the bathrooms but for at least the part of the hoses in the garage attic, she would like to replace with rigid ducts. what size should they be. my guess is this is an easy 30 ft total run to the outlet. I have no clue if they can replace all the way to the fans. i didnt study the access.

also while my guess is i could do most of this, mom said no! she wants to hire professionals. heck she doesnt even want me taking the needles out of the gutters lol.

so does a duct cleaning service do this kind of thing. any clue on cost?

Old 12-04-14, 03:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would keep your mom happy,lol. Any good HVAC company could do this. No clue about cost till I could see it.

Old 12-04-14, 07:31 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's way to long a run.
Is the dryer on an outside wall?
If not why is it not run out a gable end or out the roof?

Old 12-05-14, 04:58 AM
L
i know its too long and i cannot believe the township allowed it. but tons of homes with it. its an interior townhouse so nowhere else to go. i didnt know dryers could be vented out the roof. i just dont know enuf about physics to know if water will come back down and pool ., i know with my boiler i have to worry about condensation in the chimney even.

the realtor said he vents his own property directly into his garage so the run is just thru the wall. that sounds like a BAD idea to me. mold galore in garage then wouldnt it be?

Old 12-05-14, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Bad idea to vent to garage. As long as vent does not comber clogged out the roof is way many are done. no problem with moisture build up when working right.

Old 12-05-14, 05:27 AM
L
do u think there was water backup in the dryer and thats why someone cut the pipe and put in a pie pan to catch the water.

Old 01-26-15, 08:34 AM
L
we are nearing the end of the house debacle and when i saw the bathroom vent tube still not fixed, i was told by the realtor that it doesnt need to be vented, they are all built with it just venting to the attic. i talked to 2 friends and they confimed their homes vent to the attic too. so im the only one in America that vents to the outside i guess, i have a rare home

the thing i dont get is why they ran extra 30 ft of tube to where the dryer vents thru the soffit if it doesnt vent. when the move in takes place this will have to be explored further, why not just leave the hose sitting in the middle of the floor vs running to near the soffit where it will 'blast' the wood with moisture.

Old 01-26-15, 08:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
No way I let anything exhaust to the attic - bathroom fan, kitchen fan, dryer vent, ....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: