Heat pump - no heat, capacitor to contactor loose wire

Old 12-12-14, 11:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump - no heat, capacitor to contactor loose wire

Howdy, folks.

Problem: heat pump blowing cold air

symptoms: after about three minutes of turning on, the thermostat kicks into Aux, but never blows heat; and the copper refrigerant line does not get warm.

one obvious problem: there's a loose wire coming off of the capacitor that looks like it wants to go to the contactor. I'm not sure where, have looked at online diagrams and tried all obvious pins to no effect.

both were replaced a couple of months ago by a shady contractor whom I do not want to call back.

Any ideas?

(black wire coming off of capacitor, hanging in space above the capacitor.

Name:  hvac1.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  hvac2.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  43.3 KB

Old 12-12-14, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum!! To better assist please post the model number of your condenser. When you set the thermostat to heat does the condenser outside start up and the fan blow air out of the top? On top of the capacitor you have three sets of terminals. Can you list what color wires are attached to each set of terminals?

Old 12-12-14, 01:42 PM
T
The condenser is an old Lennox 12HPB42-2P

The fan, which was replaced by the same shady contrator, does indeed fire up and run just fine.

The three-point capacitor has a yellow wire connected to the white terminal, and the aforementioned black wire that is connected to the capacitor at the black terminal, but the other end of the black has come loose from wherever it belongs.

There is also a two-terminal capacitor in the set up, it has one brown and one brown w/white stripe wires connected to it.

Old 12-12-14, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,481 Votes on 1,369 Posts
Make sure power is off. That black wire will go to the contactor and connect to one of the terminals behind the orange wire on the right side of the contactor.

The third terminal on the capacitor was for the fan which was switched over to it's own capacitor on the brown and brown/white wires.

Old 12-12-14, 02:03 PM
It will be necessary to trace the wires to verify they are at the proper location. Does the yellow wire connected to the terminal marked Herm on the capacitor go to the compressor? I will draw up the diagram and post it.

Old 12-12-14, 02:38 PM
T
firedawg: The yellow wire, along with a red wire and a double-flat wire, run to inside the unit somewhere under the fan - hard to see where without opening it up, but I will do so if suggested.

PJ - this terminal?

Name:  hvac3.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  44.0 KB

Old 12-12-14, 02:48 PM
firedawg: The yellow wire, along with a red wire and a double-flat wire, run to inside the unit somewhere under the fan - hard to see where without opening it up, but I will do so if suggested.
Based on your description of the person who replaced your parts I just wanted to be sure he connected the wires to the correct terminals. You should have a wire going from the C terminal of the capacitor to the top right side of the contactor. The wiring diagram shows it to be a red wire but it may have been changed to a different color at some time. The terminal that you have an arrow pointed to will work as PJmax suggested.

Old 12-12-14, 03:20 PM
T
Done - and we now have heat coming out of the vents and the large copper line at the outside unit is warm, yay!

However, the thermostat still popped up with "Aux On" after about three minutes, and it's staying Aux On ...

current outside temperature is 68, current inside house temperature is 70 (oops, 71 now), with thermostat set to 76 (just for this experiment, I usually have it in the high 60's throughout the Texas "winter")

Old 12-12-14, 03:25 PM
Glad to hear you got it going! PJMax was right on target, as usual. Depending on the thermostat, the aux heat will come on when the room temperature is two degrees below thermostat set temperature. Once the set temp is reached the aux heat should turn off. Since you have it set for 76 with a room temp of 71 the aux heat will stay on until you reach 76.

Here is a link to some info that may be if assistance to you. It includes a wiring diagram:

http://hvacpartsshop.net/12HPB_Series.pdf

The diagram for your unit is on page 15.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 12-12-14 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-12-14, 03:37 PM
T
pdf saved.

ya'll rock!

(extra comment here to pad message to 25 characters)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: