routing center hood vent exhaust to a 3.25x10 duct postioned on the left.

Old 12-15-14, 01:13 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question routing center hood vent exhaust to a 3.25x10 duct postioned on the left.

I hope someone can give me some pointers.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/du...ml#post2361503

I have a 60 year old home and i'm renovating my kitchen piece by piece. I'm removing my old Nutone hood vent in place of a new Broan QT242SS hood vent. my issue is this, my old hood vent exhaust is positioned on the left and there is a 3.25x10 duct running in line with it.
my new hood vent is centered, either with a 7 inch circular vent or a 3.25x10 vent both are centered.

what would be the best method of venting this, with out too much routing, want to keep the original vent if possible...

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-15-14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,618 Votes on 1,490 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The real problem is will the new vent outlet on the hood be in the same stud section as the existing outside vent ?

You can go to a ductmaker and they could make you a custom offset. I would take measurements and then check with a duct company.

They should be able to make you a metal box with the 4x10 opening on one side at the vent and a second 4x10 opening at the new location.

Old 12-15-14, 05:13 PM
R
The original duct is about 2 inches or so to the left of where the new center vent exhaust will be.

Old 12-15-14, 05:18 PM
Is this 3.25 x 10 duct inside the cabinet above? Does it go from top of hood through ceiling, completely exposed inside cabinet?
If so, what is the measurement from bottom shelf of cabinet to ceiling?

Old 12-16-14, 01:06 PM
R
Handyone

Is this 3.25 x 10 duct inside the cabinet above? Does it go from top of hood through ceiling, completely exposed inside cabinet?
If so, what is the measurement from bottom shelf of cabinet to ceiling?

Sorry, i'm just seeing this now. yes it is inside the cabinet, and comes down from the ceiling about 2.5 to 3 feet maybe? I'm going to cut it at the top and put a fitting from 3.25x10 to a 7 inch circular, and finally get a flexible hose "7 inch" because there should be minimal bend from top to the exhaust port on the range hood. that is, unless, you have another suggestion? I realize that a flex hose is not optimal, but i'm kind of at an impasse otherwise.

Old 12-16-14, 02:50 PM
Good plan. You are just going in reverse of a typical install, you have no choice and that's OK.

A few tips to make it easier:

Buy a duct crimping tool, maybe $25. Makes it easier to connect the 2 rectangular ducts.
Use rigid 7" round duct instead of flex. Flex will not support itself and is hard to attach to the 3.25 x 10 x 7 adapter.

Drop the hood, get the duct in place and then reinstall hood. It's easier than dealing with connecting and supporting flex.

Old 12-17-14, 01:11 PM
R
Really, a rigid 7 " duct? i was thinking of using a metal brace to mount the flex hose to the back wall to insure that it keeps a uniform position all the way up until it has to curve ever so slightly at the top.

how would i crimp the rigid 7" duct to all for the slight bends. I guess my mind can't perceive the method to do this?

Ok, i just saw the duct crimping tool. I see what you are driving at....I will try that method. still not sure how to get the bends, should i use a prefab curved 7" duct piece?

Last edited by rc1967; 12-17-14 at 02:01 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: