Installing a roof vent on a very low pitched roof

Old 03-10-15, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a roof vent on a very low pitched roof

I am going to be installing an exhaust fan in the bathroom of the house soon. The space between where the exhaust fan is going to be and the roof is pretty low so should be an easy straight up run of pipe to the roof. The issue I have with the roof is for a vent hood. Do I have to use anything special in terms of a vent hood for a low sloped roof with a membrane roofing material on it. I would cut through the roof and seal around whatever I put up there but want to make sure I am using the right thing. Can I use a roof exhaust hood like:

Dundas Jafine | Roof Exhaust Hood 4 Inch Black | Home Depot Canada

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-15, 09:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 382 Votes on 359 Posts
I'm not a roofer but I don't believe that is the proper vent for a membrane roof.
I don't even recommend putting in a exhaust vent in a membrane roof as a DIY job.

Others will stop by and add to what I've written.

Old 03-10-15, 10:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 230 Votes on 212 Posts
You definitely don't want to use a plastic one, like you have pictured. The links on the right side of that same page however, would be a good choice. Anything by Broan/Nutone. Broan-NuTone | Roof Cap | Home Depot Canada

The metal will be more permanent and will bond better to the membranes and adhesives you should use to patch around it. If it is EPDM, you will need a primer, followed by some membrane tape like this. Sealing edges of the membrane with a sealant like M1 sealant is optional but recommended.