"Smart" barometric dampers for joint Evap Cooler/A/C

Old 04-12-15, 03:00 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Smart" barometric dampers for joint Evap Cooler/A/C

Since moving into our house a year ago my dream has been trying to integrate the ventilation systems we have in our house. My downstairs is a combined Hot/Cold heat pump on its own thermostat. Upstairs has a defunct combined electric heat pump on its own thermostat unit as well as a seperately ducted MasterCool MC63 with an old analog White Rodgers cooler thermostat. My wife wants to have the A/C repaired/replaced for the 100 plus degree days or when humidity is too high for the Master Cool to be effective. My problem is venting. When the cooler is on, the air needs to be vented by opening windows or barometric dampers to the attic which aids in venting the hot air in the attic too. When the A/C is on, obviously that would need to be reversed. Although I planned to install UpDux to ventilate the Evap air to the attic, in those times where the A/C was desired, they need to be manually locked or the windows would need to be manually shut. Is is possible to have barometric dampers to the attic as well as the Evap cooler that could lock when the A/C turned on? It's would also be desirable during the wood burning season to stop the heat from going to the attic as well.

Old 04-13-15, 04:27 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
IMO you should stick with one system are the other. You will have little gain if any switching between the two systems.

Old 04-14-15, 03:58 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where I live, my home isn't unique, however most of the systems with both A/C and Evaporative cooling use the same ducting system and have a simple barometric damper on the evaporative cooler to prevent the A/C air from blowing back out of the evaporative cooler. Our climate is dry most of the time, making evaporative cooling very effective on all but the hottest or most muggy daysand far more energy efficient My house is set up for it, I just want to automate the process. I read somewhere that some guy had rigged some of his windows to open and close automatically for the same purpose. I would just rather vent the air to the attic so I can cook the attic at the same time. What kind of dampers would I need and how would I go about having a thermostat telling the dampers to unlock when the evaporative cooler is on and lock again when it's not?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: