Bathroom exhaust fan installation

Old 05-18-15, 08:02 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom exhaust fan installation

When installing an exhaust fan inside a bathroom vent, how complicated can it get with the construction and wiring? If the fan needs to be connected to the light switch, does a wall need to be taken down?

Old 05-18-15, 08:16 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Post make no since.
A wall is never taken "down".
Are you trying to install an new exhost fan where there is none there now?
Going to need a whole lot more info on what's there now and what your trying to do.

Old 05-18-15, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
If fan in shower area then GFI needed AFAIK. If other area then switch is ok... Need to fish wire in wall is all....

Make sure breaker supports the amps of the additional fan. and other loads...

Last edited by lawrosa; 05-19-15 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 08:53 PM
T
Thank you so much for the responses.

The vent has no fan. It is just a duct with a cover.

The vent is located in the shower area.

What does GFI mean?

Old 05-18-15, 09:05 PM
E
Ground fault interruptor. You can install one before the breaker that protects the lights in the bathroom.

Old 05-18-15, 09:27 PM
T
Thank you.

I am a complete noob at this. So my questions might sound silly.
When you say breaker are you talking about the breaker box? Or is there another breaker inside the bathroom where the lights are?

Old 05-18-15, 09:29 PM
E
In the breaker box. Or any point up stream of what you want protected

Old 05-18-15, 09:40 PM
T
What is the risk of not installing a GFI?

Old 05-18-15, 09:56 PM
E
Electrocution.

That you come into contact with a live wire and it makes its way back to the ground by way of you

Old 05-19-15, 05:41 AM
T
That is good to know. Thank you for that.
I just thought of some more questions.

1. Is a electrician the only person needed to install a fan?

2. Besides the fan, what materials are needed?

3. What is the range in cost of installing a fan?

4. Are there any particular brands of fans that should be avoided? Are there any particular fans that should be used?

5. How do you pick out the right fan?

6. What qualities should you look for in finding the right person to install the fan?

7. What are the red flags that you should look for when finding the right person to install the fan?

8. Can a fan be able to block any exhaust that comes out of the vent even when the fan is turned off?

9. How long does it take for the installation? Is it a one day operation?

10. What safety measures should you take during the installation?

Thank you everyone for information. It has been very helpful.

Old 05-19-15, 08:08 AM
E
Where does the vent go? Through the attic? Through the ceiling

With the disclaimer that I'm not a professional and that you should not take any of my advice as if I were. The way I would do this in my house would be to put the fan in the attic or outside, not inside the bathroom. That way you most likely don't need to worry about GFI protection (Again check your code), it simplifies wiring, and most importantly in my opinion you have the noisy fan OUTSIDE.

Even quiet fans are loud and the more effective they are the louder they are.

Old 05-19-15, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,407 Votes on 1,302 Posts
If you install a ceiling exhaust fan and it's in the footprint of the shower..... meaning you could touch it if you were in the shower.... then it needs GFI supplied power. If you install it in the middle of the room it won't need protection.

As an electrician I install vent fans like that. I can handle side of house or soffit vents but I don't penetrate roofs. I'll supply the roof cap and the homeowner calls his roofer to cut the cap in. I'm not a roofer and don't want the aggravation of a roof leak.

I sell and install the Panasonic line of vent fans. Very efficient and quiet.
You can also get them from Nutone/Broan.

A basic fan installed runs around $325. That price depends on many things.

Call an electrician or two and get them to quote prices.

Old 05-19-15, 08:00 PM
T
Thank you all so much for your responses. It has been very helpful.

Just to clear up things.

I live in an apartment building. I have an exhaust vent attached to a ventilation system that ventilates the bathroom. The vent is located on a wall in the bathroom. I want to use the exhaust vent as a footprint for the fan.

Mea culpa for any confusion.

Old 05-19-15, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,407 Votes on 1,302 Posts
Most apartment complexes frown on renters from doing their own work. Some buildings employ the services of select tradesman and you'd need to contact them.

Your building has an exhaust fan on the roof with a common plenum to multiple apartments. So in your bathroom is just a grille and you want to remove the grille and install a power ventilator.

Have I got that right ?

If the system is as I described but doesn't appear to be working.... possibly the roof mounted exhaust fan is not running.

Old 05-21-15, 05:32 AM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Like Pete said, if this is an apartment, and there is a ceiling exhaust vent in the bathroom without airflow, most likely the building's roof mounted exhaust fan has a broken fan belt, or some other problem. You also might want to check with your neighbors to see if they have the same issue. Let us know the outcome
Andy

Old 05-25-15, 06:35 PM
T
Thank you again for the responses.

Your building has an exhaust fan on the roof with a common plenum to multiple apartments. So in your bathroom is just a grille and you want to remove the grille and install a power ventilator.

Have I got that right ?

Yes. You are right.

Recently, I have had some issues with the ventilation in the bathroom.
There are a periods where the exhaust comes into the bathroom and all sorts of nasty odors come in. The super knows and claims that the problem is that there is debris blocking the vents and he needs to clear it out. He says the fans are working fan. It does not make sense to me how debris forces exhaust into the bathroom. It would make more sense if nothing comes in or our in the vent. That is why I am thinking of putting in a fan in the vent.

Old 05-26-15, 04:39 PM
T
Please read

I do not mean to double post, but I was wondering if anyone care to share their opinions. Does the following make any sense to why odor is coming out of the vent?

There are a periods where the exhaust comes into the bathroom and all sorts of nasty odors come in. The super knows and claims that the problem is that there is debris blocking the vents and he needs to clear it out. He says the fans are working. It does not make sense to me how debris forces exhaust into the bathroom. It would make more sense if nothing comes in or our in the vent. That is why I am thinking of putting in a fan in the vent.

Old 05-26-15, 04:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What you want to should should not be done and may actually cause problems by forcing your exhaust into other neighbors apartments. You may also find yourself in violation of your lease and looking for a new place to live. If your landlord continues to do nothing complain to the local government hosing board that handles complaints.

Old 05-26-15, 06:05 PM
T
Thank you for the response. I will definitely keep that in mind before I make any decisions.

Does it make sense what the super says about the debris inside the ventilation shaft causing this?

Old 05-26-15, 06:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does it make sense what the super says about the debris inside the ventilation shaft causing this?
Impossible to say for sure but if it is how could your proposed vent work blowing into a clogged pipe?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: