Blocking off vents.

Old 06-24-15, 04:27 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blocking off vents.

I am turning a small toilet/sink bathroom into a cold room for brewing. I am insulating the walls and the the ceiling further as well as sealing the door. I am going to block the AC vent off. I also have the vent closed in my bedroom since I turn the house to 80 at night to conserve energy.

Of the 1100 SQ foot of the house, this represents about about 200 sq foot.

I replaced the motor in my AC prior to all this. It is a 3 speed and I believe I put it on medium because that speed was the RPM that coincided with the old motor.

I assume that I have 3 options.

1) Block them off and move on with life.
2) Block them off and adjust the blower to the lower RPM.
3) Move the small one to another room and do 1 or 2 to the bigger room.(175 sq foot)

The AC is 10 or 12 years old. The condenser coils are pretty rough but serviceable. I get the feeling that the first 5-6 years of the AC's life they used the garbage green/blue filters(or none) and didn't clean it. I clean it yearly. I will probably have to replace it(the condenser) in a couple years if I don't decide to start installing mini splits around the house. I really think the entire vent in the ceiling thing is a giant waste of energy. I might block off more vents permanently in the future in furtherance of this goal.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-24-15, 05:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
My father told me that my grandfather did something like that during prohibition, in the 20s. He brewed beer in the bathtub. My father never said how good the beer was.

AC wasn't a concern then. Why does the AC need to be blocked? Exactly, what are you brewing? I assumed it was beer.

Edit: Another story was that my grandfather & my father was in some type of tavern. My grandfather ordered to beers. They said that they wouldn't serve my father since he was about 10. My grandfather said, "if you won't serve him, I will" & ordered another beer.

Years later, all 3 of us went to Yankee Stadium & my grandfather would keep an extra cup so I could have some beer.

Old 06-24-15, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I, too, fail to understand all the modifications to the bathroom. Mash will create its own heat. I brew wine, and do it in my basement, which is not as climate controlled as the house, but it works. Blocking off the vents will only make mold and mildew more readily growable in that area. I would not close the vents off. Brews don't need any additional bacteria :eek;

Old 06-25-15, 03:00 AM
D
I am insulating the walls/roof and putting some moisture barriers in the walls/roof. The room will be in the low 60s. This is my preferred serving temperature. We don't have basements in FL. I am going to run taps through the wall into my dining room and have the kegs in the room. Essentially it is going to be a walk in cooler. I have humidity and temperature control already in place.

Most things taste terrible if they are brewed over 70 degrees. The mash does create it's own heat and that is the problem. Typically, I end up leaving it in a small air conditioned area at 70 in a tub of water, draped in a old shirt, with frozen 2 liters in the water. I can keep it in the mid 60's this way. However, I have about 6 kegs, 6 carboys, and a lot of brewing supplies. At any given time I have 2-3 beers brewing. It is as much about having a temperature controlled space for my supplies and keeping my beer that is finished at an appropriate temperature. I would need 3 refrigerators at this point to keep everything cool and that is a huge waste of space.

I use plastic for primary and glass for secondary. No bathtub. Though open fermentation is pretty neat, it isn't worth the risk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: