Installing a QT300 300 CFM Vent Fan

Old 06-28-15, 05:38 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a QT300 300 CFM Vent Fan

I have never done this and am looking for help in selecting the correct ducting and roof cap for this item. The size of vent on this big guy is 3 1/4" x 10" so what would be the best way to duct this through the roof?

Old 06-28-15, 06:56 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Contact the manufacturer. Here is the info from their instruction pdf.

IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE OR SERVICE
For the location of your nearest Broan-NuTone Canada ULC authorized service center;
Dial toll free: 1-888-882-7626
Please be prepared to provide:
Product model number Date and proof of purchase The nature of the difficulty
Broan-NuTone LLC
926 W. State Street, Hartford, Wisconsin 53027
NuTone is the leader in Central Vacuum Systems - Door Chimes - Ventilation Fans - Range Hoods - Ironing Centers - Home Automation 888-336- 6151
Broan-NuTone Canada ULC
1140, Tristar Drive, Mississauga (Ontario) L5T 1H9
NuTone.ca Bath Fans, Indoor Air Quality Products, Door Chimes, Central Vacuums, Intercom Systems, Range Hoods, Attic Ventilators and Ironing Centers. 877-896-1119

Old 06-28-15, 09:34 PM
D
Thank you for your response and I actually did find and read the installation guide PDF but unfortunately calling them did not provide much in the way ducting should be done with this - which is why I came here hoping to catch someone that might have installed one. It's not about how it should be done but with what duct size ( From what have read so far it seems 5" or better) and what type of roof cap to connect to.

Last edited by Dream WEaver; 06-28-15 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 06:09 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's strange that a company like NuTone wouldn't have that information available for their customers. Anyway, I found a page on Home Depot's site where they answered questions about the product.

Home Depot NuTone QuieTTest 300 CFM Ceiling Exhaust Fan: questions, answers, how to, FAQs, tips, advice, answers, buying guide

One question was, is the duct available at Home Depot? The answer was yes & the product web page is:
Master Flow 10 in. x 3-1/4 in. to 6 in. Stack Boot-SB10X3.25X6 - The Home Depot

It looks like you would need to buy or fabricate an extension, for it. According to the same Q&A site, a 7" round duct can also be used.

Even though the web site is owned by Home Depot, it seems that the questions are answered by NuTone. They offer another customer service number.

"If you have further question, please contact our Customer Service Department at 888-336-3948. Thanks, again." I would call that # too.

Old 06-29-15, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Most big box stores carry the complete roof exhaust kit.
Here is the Nutone/Broan one.... NuTone RVK1A Roof Vent Kit.

You can also buy the roof cap separate and then use fully insulated exhaust line in the attic to reduce condensation.

Name:  517HHwl9VgL._SL1280_.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  24.9 KB

Old 06-29-15, 11:14 AM
D
Uh oh. I just canceled an order on Amazon with TexasValue of that very kit as it looked like it was a 4" set up and I needed a 10". What is confusing is I am thinking I need something bigger than that kit due to how much CFM this fan is moving. Thank you for your response. I am re-evaluating.

Old 06-29-15, 11:18 AM
D
Thank you so much for your response. Oddly, I read everything there as you did prior to seeking help here and than became confused (and even wrote my own question there which takes 72 hours to process and post) from the Q and A so I called them to further clarify to which I was more confused and was told to read the Instructions provided. Most of the complaints for this product were the instructions provided which further overwhelmed me which is why I came here Thank you again fro your response!

Old 06-29-15, 11:30 AM
D
I am currently calling their technical support group as evidently last I called I was speaking to customer service who didn't think it proper to put me through to these people. Thank you all for all responses! Crossing my fingers!

Old 06-29-15, 11:45 AM
D
Okay, technical support group recommends something like Pulpo found in one of the Q&A's but further recommends it being a minimum of 7 inch ducting ( due to the amount of CFM ) into a model 634 roof cap ( 634 Bath and Ventilation Fans - Broan ). So it appears that I was correct in canceling the RVK1A vent kit. Also, it appears my replies were not directed to the appropriate people so please do pretend they were!

Old 06-29-15, 02:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The Q&A that I found also recommended the 7" minimum if you chose to use a round duct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: