Radon fan typical air flow?

Old 07-05-15, 01:52 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Radon fan typical air flow?

Hi,
I have a radon mitigation system recently installed and I was on the roof the other day and I was surprised by the lack of air flow coming out the vent pipe. At first I was concerned that the fan was broke or not working, but the pressure on the pipe is reading 0.6" WC, which is in the range for my fan.

I have a RadonAway RP145; which is rated at 126 CFM @ 0.5" WC.

It's on a 4" pipe, and the air flow out the pipe was barely registerable by my hand...I mean I had a grocery store receipt in my pocket, laid it over the opening and the air flow would not budge it.

Any ideas if this level of air flow is normal? I just can't seem to reconcile the in range WC reading in the pipe below the fan, and the seemingly lack of air flow out the pipe.

Thanks

Old 07-05-15, 03:48 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Actually, yours is working very well. Part of the installation is to seal everything they can to prevent air from beneath the slab from leaking into your house. As a double measure they install the exhaust fan to bring that below space negative. Between the air sealing and the negative pressure the radon levels are reduced. Zero to very low air flow says yours is well air sealed. The 126cfm at 0.5" WC is what the fan is capable of, but much less is much better.

Bud

BTW, welcome to the forum

Last edited by Bud9051; 07-05-15 at 03:50 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-08-15, 04:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@Bud9051

Thanks! I wouldn't have expected that, but I guess that makes sense.

Ryan

Old 07-08-15, 05:20 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Ryan, I'm not a pro on radon systems, but there are different sizes and at some point the installers should have made a determination as to how big of a fan you needed. Since yours is moving almost zero air, I would think (just guessing) a smaller fan would have been sufficient. Now, maybe yours is already a small one I don't know, but if it is way too big I would want to ask those who installed it. Smaller would cost less to run.

Did they do an after radon test to see how much improvement the system made?

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: