Dampers in takeoff are leaking...

Old 07-12-15, 12:38 PM
A
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dampers in takeoff are leaking...

I went to try to seal my f-ing flex duct because pretty much every single one is dripping water....since they leak air. I was able to tighten the interior liner (duct) to the plenum takeoff properly...but air still leaks out of the hole on the bottom where the bottom of the damper goes in. Its a lot bigger than the 'rod' that goes into it. How do you seal this properly? Is there a rubber washer or something you can put in it?

Old 07-12-15, 12:50 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I was thinking the same as you, a rubber washer of sorts. A small piece of ice and water shield since it is adhesive on the back.

But a question, how is the leak contributing to the condensation? The cold air inside your ducts has already gone through a drying process so should not be carrying extra moisture. Is it condensation in the area where the leak is making things cold, thus forming condensation from the warm humid surrounding air?

Flex duct is poorly insulated, r-6 at best. All metal as well as those flex ducts should be covered in lots of insulation. I hedged on stating a number as I have never seen anything recommended, But IMO, r-20 would be a bare minimum.

Continue the air sealing as that is always good.

Bud

Old 07-12-15, 01:11 PM
A
Yes. Condensation.

Second question is what tape do you pros reccomend? Ive heard I need 'Venture' tape for the ducts after I secure with banduit. WHat model? Where do I get it? Also, is the FOIL tape I need for other AC leaks on the plenum a different type? If so, what model and where do I get it?

Old 07-13-15, 04:27 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Any 3in wide silver tape is fine. If your are repairing duct wrap you want FSK tape.

Old 07-15-15, 08:42 PM
A
Yes, the silver mylar wrap is torn. I have some Venture 1599b and Venture 1581a, will either of those work? If not, what are those for?

Old 07-16-15, 05:14 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If they are very sticky they will work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: