Is there a roof mounted fan that brings air inside the house?

Old 07-14-15, 05:08 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a roof mounted fan that brings air inside the house?

I'd like to bring cool night air into my upstairs bedroom without having to set a fan in front of an open window. My neighborhood is loud at night so keeps me awake so I'd like to close the bedroom windows and drapes.

It seems all ventilators that sit on the roof are just for ventilating the attic.

I was thinking of buying an attic powered roof ventilator and running duct work through the attic and attaching it to a cover of some sort that would mount on my bedroom ceiling. Doing such a modification sounds tricky so I was wondering if anyone knows if what I'm looking for already exists?

I'd keep a window in another part of the upstairs open to balance the pressure.

I'd prefer not running an air conditioner when the outside air is nice and cool.

Old 07-14-15, 05:28 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Have you considered just using a window fan with some detailing to close the drapes above it. The fan noise should mask some of the noise from next door. I'm running mine right now as the temp outside is dropping into the 60's.

As for drawing cool air from the roof, that is probably the warmest air as you go into the evening, plus, up there is where the sewer gas is vented and possible a code issue.

Bud

Old 07-14-15, 05:42 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good point Bud about the vent odors possibly getting back down into the house. I had not thought of that.

I'd prefer to shut the windows and drapes to keep it dark and quiet. Window fans are always a security issue too as I have to make sure the windows are closed if I'm away. I was hoping to find a permanent solution that would allow me to keep the windows closed at night and just turn a switch to get the ventilation I want.

I was thinking that perhaps a bathroom ventilator might work. I have a Panasonic "Whisper Wall" bathroom fan mounted on the exterior wall of the downstairs bathroom. Maybe I could install one of those on the exterior wall of the upstairs bedroom and have it blow in instead of out. Again, lots of modifications but I'm trying to avoid buying a portable air conditioner which is frustrating when the outside air is already nice and cold at night.

Old 07-14-15, 06:14 PM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
None of the suggestions your posting are going to work.
Concider a whole house fan.
Ours cools the whole house about 50% of the time.

Old 07-14-15, 06:23 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You could use an in-line exhaust fan with the ends reversed so it would blow through a ceiling mounted register and take suction on the other end. If you have a gable style roof then take suction from a grille mounted in the gable.

Here is one company that has a large assortment of fans. I know nothing about the company, just found them on a Google search. Inline Exhaust Fans - VentingDirect.com

You want maybe 100 to 200 CFM flow at the lowest sound level possible. Definitely need to insulate all the ductwork from the heat in the attic.

Old 07-14-15, 06:30 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
There is a category of fans intended for bringing in fresh air. The link below is one, a bit expensive, but a good product line, however it looks to provide a very limited amount of air.
Panasonic FV-01WS2 Bathroom Fan, WhisperSupply Wall 10 CFM - 4" Duct

In tight modern construction there is often a need to supply outside air to balance kitchen fans or combustion needs. Here is another one, but it isn't obvious to me how this would install for you.
Fresh Air Intake Kit with Booster Fan and Intake Hood

Try Googling fresh air intake fans and see if anything comes up.

Bud

Old 07-15-15, 04:39 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
outside air temps at 60 degrees id bet you would need 400 plus cfm to cool a 12x12 bedroom. Plus you got the humidity that will be brought into the house that the AC will have to deal with once it is turned on.

Old 07-15-15, 01:18 PM
F
I live fairly close to the OP, maybe within 20-30 miles, so my experience should be reasonable for him to expect.

I have cooled my entire house (1540 square feet on one level) with just a 20 inch box fan set in a window on one end of the house and an open window on the other end. I do cover up the part of the fan window not covered by the fan itself with cardboard and run the fan usually on its lowest speed which translates to about 400 CFM. Sometimes I orient the fan to blow in and sometimes to blow out, depending on which window I use for the fan and which end of the house I want to cool the most.

For the most part humidity of the night air has NOT been a problem although on rare occasions it is pretty muggy in the morning. That excess humidity clears as soon as the sun comes up, yes, the sun really does shine around here during the summer days.

The problems I DO find with this method is that it brings in a lot of dust and dirt and does nothing to stop the ambient noise of the freeway, dogs or loud neighbors. Now I have no idea of how large a bedroom from hollywood has but mine is less than 200 square feet and a 100 CFM fan would do wonders for ventilating just this room, roughly 4 complete air changes per hour.

Last edited by Furd; 07-15-15 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Capitalize the first word in a sentence.
Old 07-15-15, 01:55 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
My wife is a big lady! She makes a lot of heat! Thats why I suggested more CFM!!!

IM kidding!! If my wife sees this IM a dead man!

Old 07-15-15, 02:05 PM
F
My ex was (probably still is) a big woman but going to bed with her was like sleeping with an iceberg. I sometimes wondered why I didn't get frostbite on my feet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: