Worried about dirty ducts saturate new paint and carpet please help.

Old 07-17-15, 10:31 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Worried about dirty ducts saturate new paint and carpet please help.

Okay here is the rundown of my situation. Just to be blunt.

My dad died, I inherited his home. I am now fixing it up to sell, as I will not be living in state for much longer. He smoked, therefore causing smell and odor in the home. I have all the carpet ripped up and outside, and everything in the home is removed except for some large pieces of furniture. The walls and trim and kitchen cabinets have all been primered with kilz, and painted.

My problem is, I was under the impression my ducts needed cleaned. The guy came out today and basically told me he could clean them but that would not solve the problem. It's too dirty to even really be cleaned, and my ducts need replaced. Therefore even if they were cleaned it would not rid myself of the smoke smell on a humid or rainy day.

I talked to someone else about replacing the ducts, and they are coming to look at it this coming Thursday, but they said they wouldn't be able to come out and do it until the first or 2nd week of August. I also get new carpet put down next week.

I'm really worried that waiting that long will cause all my walls and new carpet to have smoke smell be saturated back in them and have to do it all over again!

Somebody please tell me that waiting two weeks to get the duct work replaced will not ruin all the money I've spent to get all this work done and have to spend more all over again to repaint and carpet.

I'm only 20 years old and this is overwhelming and stressful and I really hope I didn't mess up. I was hoping to get the ducts cleaned today and not have to worry about anything. Somebody please give me decent news.

Thank you.

Old 07-17-15, 10:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
We have to paint units all the time because a tenant smoked. Never had to clean the ducts.

Old 07-17-15, 01:36 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would not have the ducts replaced. Ducts to dirty to clean, that makes no since. I think by replacing the carpet and painting should take care of the problem.

Old 07-17-15, 01:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Info for you!

I have never seen ducts to dirty to be cleaned. I think he didn't wont the job.

The duct work and the unit can and will hold an odor. Anything that is lined should be cleaned and coated to lock in the smoke smell. If you can rent an Ozone generator for a day or two that would remove any odor you have left. (please read all warnings when using OZONE) As far as odor into the new carpet its hard to say. Id leave the air off just to be sure.

Old 07-17-15, 01:43 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Tenants have to have their carpets professionally cleaned upon move-out, we've never had any smoke smell left in them afterward. We have had to have the drapes cleaned a few times, though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: