Bathroom fan vent leads nowhere ???

Old 03-07-16, 07:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom fan vent leads nowhere ???

So my bathroom fan stopped working. Not being a big fan of home repairs I put it off. Tonight I decided to take it down. Wasn't terribly difficult but then all this insulation started falling on me. I looked up and guess what? NO DUCT WORK. The fan goes right into the attic and not even that, it was covered with insulation! What the hell? No way am I getting on the roof to install a duct vent. Is this going to cost me manly $$?

Old 03-07-16, 08:23 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The first thing to do is to check the attic for mold/ mildew from the condensate from the fan. Most fans are built so that the motor and blower can be removed and replaced without disturbing the housing.
I assume that you have a new total replacement fan to replace the bad one. If you do the installation and get the ducting and roof cap, you can probably get a handy man service to do the roof cap mounting and hook up. In my part of the world, it should take less than an hour. Of course there is a show up fee plus an hourly charge. Probably total of $180 - $200.

Old 03-07-16, 08:37 PM
B
That seems reasonable enough. I don't have a replacement yet. I wanted to just get the old one out so I knew what I was dealing with.

Old 03-08-16, 12:48 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I agree with Goldstar. If you see any roof repairs or replacements going on in your neighborhood stop and talk to the job foreman and see if one of his people would be willing to do an "after hours" job installing the roof jack. Might get it done for significantly less than $100.

Old 03-08-16, 02:48 AM
B
Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. I'm surprised it was ever acceptable to build like this. I understand current codes do not allow for this.

Old 03-08-16, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It never was acceptable! but some builders [today too] cut corners and occasionally something just gets missed which is why most states require builders to warrant their work for one year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: