Old 03-28-16, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bent air duct boot

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  35.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  35.5 KB

Went to replace the register and this is what I saw. New one won't even sit flush with floor. There's a pic from the basement but I have to figure out how to attach that . Send I can only attach one through the phone.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-16, 09:56 AM
Views: 98
Size:  30.8 KB. Here's one view thorough the basement

Old 03-28-16, 10:04 AM
Views: 88
Size:  27.6 KB and here's the other side from the basement. What would be the best way to fix this?

Old 03-28-16, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I see these all the time, just jammed in there slap-dash and bent to [email protected]#%. You can see how much air was leaking by the dirt stains on the insulation.

You could replace it, but you should be able to salvage it. Ideally when they are installed a lip is folded on the top edges, folded over the subfloor and nailed with big head roofing nails. Not practical for you to do that unless you replace the boot.

Alternative is to first make sure the hole in the subfloor is big enough so the register can drop inside the boot. Then make the edges of the boot flush with the subfloor (trimming them if necessary), fastening through the boot into the edge of the subfloor with roofing nails. Not much room to swing a hammer so it's a bit tricky. Then I take foil tape and fold it over the top edge onto the little lip of subfloor to seal the gaps. When its done, the register should drop right in, and the only place for air to go it up through the register. Good luck with your project!