Can I use bathroom exhaust fan in kitchen?

Old 03-28-16, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I use bathroom exhaust fan in kitchen?

Redoing my kitchen. I'm installing an over-the-range microwave with an exhaust fan that will roughly filter and cool off any greasy smoke and direct it up towards the ceiling. I'm thinking of buying a ceiling mounted bathroom exhaust fan as a way of then moving that air and smoke out of the house. I am limited spacewise to a fan that will fit b/w ceiling joists and that can exhaust through a 4" duct.

Given that I won't be moving hot air through it, is this acceptable or do I HAVE to use a kitchen exhaust fan? Also, the kitchen is 120 square feet, so if this is a workable solution, would a 100-120 CFM fan be appropriate or could I handle something a bit smaller? Like an 80 CFM?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-16, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You need to use a through the wall kitchen fan...more in the 250 CFM range. Just saw this exact same issue on TOH on Saturday. Above the range micro on an inside wall with a fan that just blew in to the kitchen. Electrician installed a real exhaust fan. 4" hole to the outside, external damper, pull chain activated. Not ideal, but it did the job.

You say the kitchen is 120 SF...but you need to take in to account the height. That would be 960 CF assuming 8 ft ceilings. A bath fan just won't cut it.

Old 03-28-16, 07:49 PM
Do you understand that the microwave hood combo is fully capable of venting up through the roof or directly out the back? The blower can be rotated up, front, or back.

The microwaves are shipped from the factory in front recirculation mode, which is the least desirable.

Old 03-29-16, 10:29 AM
I do. The problem is that the gas line is located on an inside wall and we cannot relocate it (due to size restrictions in the kitchen) and there's a finished attic space (the master bedroom) above all of that, so there's no way to route the exhaust from the microwave out of the house. the only option I've got is to move any smoke away from the range and THEN get it out of the room, hence my question about the exhaust fan.

Old 03-29-16, 11:03 AM
Yeah, the microwave can't vent up or back in your case. Good call.
A ceiling exhaust fan can't hurt if you can make it happen, it would be nice if the duct could be changed out to 6", but the 4" is better than nothing.

Also the microwave has charcoal filters available, which helps a little.