Outside Periscope Vent for Range Exhaust

Old 03-29-16, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside Periscope Vent for Range Exhaust

I'm trying to raise my range exhaust vent a few inches so we can enlarge the concrete patio. The exhaust hole is about 6 inches wide. A simple solution would be a periscope vent but I haven't seen any that can be used outside. Does anyone have any ideas? Worse case would be to just leave a small patch without concrete.

Name:  IMG_1265.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  16.1 KBName:  IMG_1266.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  18.8 KB

Thanks,
Sam

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-16, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is there any room to raise it inside? It would mean moving the hole up but that's not too big a job.

Another option might be one of these:

Name:  Dryer vent.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  5.9 KB

Not sure it's available in 6" size though and you would have to keep it clean.

You could perhaps use a periscope but I see a few issues. You could box it in with some trim to keep the weather out, that's one issue. I'd probably run it up high so it's not blowing on the patio.

Another issue is having the patio right up against the periscope. I'd worry about water running off the patio and entering around the vent pipe.

Periscopes add a fair amount of resistance to air flow, which is not a problem if the blower is strong enough, but if it's a wimpy kitchen fan it may really impede its operation.

Finally, kitchen vents (well, all vents) need to be cleaned periodically. Kitchen vents don't build up lint like dryer vents do, but they do build up grease and gunk that has to be removed from time to time, so whatever you do has to be accessible for cleaning. If you box in a periscope, you'll need to make the box open-able so you can disassemble the vent for cleaning every so often.

Old 03-29-16, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The hole is in the foundation so no reasonable way to raise it. I haven't seen the vent you have pictured in a 6 inch size. I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Sam