Ceiling vents

Old 06-24-16, 08:09 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling vents

The top floor of our home is a "great room" with kitchen and dining area and living room. It is about 1,000 square feet with a vaulted ceiling that is about 13' high at the highest point. The east side opens on to a deck that is roofed but otherwise not enclosed. We are about to have our house re-sided and in the process we are having sliding windows installed on the deck. We live well above 7,000' and do not have air conditioning. There is usually a week or two out of the year in late June early July where it gets a little uncomfortable because of the heat. I'm worried that the windows on the deck will make it even hotter during those few weeks. I've long thought that a row of motor-driven openable skylights near the highpoint of the ceiling would allow the hot air to vent. We're already spending a small fortune on the siding project and the motorized skylights that I've seen are over ~$1000 each. We'd probably need 5 of them. If we pay to have them installed it would probably come in close to $10K total. (That's a guess but with over $5K for skylights it probably isn't too far off.) We don't really need more light though. I am wondering whether there might be a way to use motorized vents rather than skylights? If this could be done for under $5K I think we might just go for it but I'm not even sure I've ever seen anything like what I am thinking of.

Old 06-24-16, 08:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
I'm not a fan of skylights because of noise and leaks, which are even more likely with skylights that open.

So you're saying windows are being installed where there is just wall now? And that these windows are not high enough to provide the ventilation you need?

Old 06-24-16, 11:32 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
why not a ductless split? get a Heat Pump and use it for heat as well.

Old 06-24-16, 03:00 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Windows are being installed on the deck. Currently the deck is open to the elements. The windows will make it warmer in the winter and hotter in the summer. Shades on the deck will help but I letting the hot air escape would be better.

"Heat pump" is another word for air conditioner. I have no need of air conditioning and electric heating which is what a heat pump would come down to. All I need is a passive system, perhaps with a fan but definitely not a compressor, which would allow hot air to escape out through the ceiling in the summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: