venting bath fan into house

Old 08-24-16, 12:45 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
venting bath fan into house

I have searched the Internet to see if this was acceptable and all I can find are people talking about venting into attics which I know would not be good. Let me explain my situation, I live in the mountains of Colorado and when we did a major remodel of the house the contractor said we didn't need a fan in our new master bath since it has windows. Our new master suite has vaulted ceilings and walls made from SIPs. I would like to add an exhaust fan in the bathroom but don't want to let in the cold winter air here, would it be acceptable to vent it into the bedroom, our house is an open design and we keep the ceiling fans running, so wouldn't that just disperse the humidity around the house, we run humidifiers in the winter anyway. I don't like walking into the bathroom after the wife has showered and seeing the moisture running down the walls.

Old 08-24-16, 01:06 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Well the other name for a bathroom fan is a Fart Fan. If you and visitors can deal with distributing bathroom odors into your bedroom and the house can handle the extra moisture then there is no real problem with your approach.

As for needing to run a humidifier in the winter that is saying your house is exchanging a lot of air. But that is another discussion.

Bud

Old 08-24-16, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forums! While reflected cold air is definitely a concern in your area, you do not, without at doubt want to vent moist air into another room in the house. I would check into the possibility of venting through, or into the attic and outside via a gable vent.

Old 08-24-16, 01:47 PM
K
My only concerns are the moisture, the gasses can stay in there,

We have vaulted ceilings, We do not have an attic, and i don't want to make a hole up through the SIP panel, I would prefer to add it to the wall and vent it out that way if i have to, i was just wondering about other options

Old 08-24-16, 02:03 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
My house was also built without bath fans (2) but was also very leaky so the air exchange was high and thus RH was low. We benefited from allowing the bath areas to dry into the rest of the house. Fast forward and the house is now much tighter and both bathrooms have bath fans vented to the outside. In the event of a gas attack we used our windows and in your case that is still an option.

A side note, if you plan on selling, venting into the bedroom would be a negative point. Deal breaker for some.

Bud

Old 08-24-16, 02:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
My only concerns are the moisture, the gasses can stay in there,
So you will have a "selective" fan set up.

Old 08-24-16, 06:45 PM
K
Yes, I'd put a switch or timer on it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: