Dryer Vent - Outside

Old 10-29-16, 06:36 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Vent - Outside

Hi -

Our dryer vent is next to a glass door and the heat seems to be messing up the glass since it is an impact door. I would like to create some sort of chimney to make the heat travel inside a tube (aluminum, etc) and exhaust above the door but I haven't found any information on the internet.

Has anyone done or seen this before? Thanks.

Ralf

Old 10-29-16, 07:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 909 Votes on 837 Posts
Your dryer cannot exhaust air hot enough to damage glass. It's possible there is lint or fabric softener sheet vapors condensing or being deposited on the glass. Most home centers will have 4" dryer duct. You can get some and attach to the end of your existing duct and rout it wherever you want. Keep in mind that dryers operate best with the least amount of duct on their exhaust so keep it as short as possible and avoid adding 90 degree bends if possible.

Old 10-29-16, 10:46 PM
Received 504 Votes on 467 Posts
I would agree that the heat is not an issue but condensate might be.

I have a similar issue, my vent goes onto my front porch and it gets full of lint.

Have debated making a small extension off the porch but just dont think it's going to look very good and the location of the laundry room does not provide an option to move the vent.

If you can move the vent in the house to another location that is probably best bet.

Old 10-30-16, 09:43 AM
R
Thanks for all the replies. I agree in the fact that the heat may not be enough to damage the door but I think that eventually could affect the film in the door. The often exposure to outside heat and inside cold is doing something to the door. I don't have another place that could be used for my dryer which is why I was leaning torwards the chimney idea. I also can't extended because I wouldn't be able to open the door. Any other ideas?

Thank you...

Old 10-30-16, 11:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 909 Votes on 837 Posts
The dryer will do nothing worse to your door than the southern Florida sun. I think what you are seeing is lint or residue possibly from dryer sheets.

Old 11-24-16, 03:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 348 Votes on 301 Posts
I would agree with the others, but f you really want to divert the dryer vent just look at the venting area of your home store. They will carry 4" rigid steel pipe and associated fittings (couplings, 90's, pipe straps) for you to divert the vent anyplace you want. Just be aware that adding length and/or 90-degree bends will reduce the draft/flow of the dryer. Be sure to make it removable so that it could be cleaned and don't connect the parts with screws, only use aluminum tape.

Old 11-24-16, 08:52 AM
S
Received 85 Votes on 79 Posts
Just a thought. If you can redirect it without worrying about what the pipe looks like I'm assuming it's not street side so if looks aren't a problem, how about removing your end piece from the house and adding an elbow and you could face it any way you wanted with no obstruction. If the open pipe is a problem you can put a 4" soffit vent that has a screen in it on the end easily removed for cleaning.

Old 11-27-16, 05:36 PM
R
Hey guys...the film is actually damaged at this point which is why my intention of modifying the vent. lol post a picture tomorrow for you to see. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: