Remove attic ductwork?

Old 10-31-16, 10:28 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove attic ductwork?

Remodeling a 1961 home in S. Utah (about 1500sq ft). New furnace and ductwork was installed in the crawl space last year. Contemplating removing the old ductwork in the attic as it's no longer used. I'm in the mindset of removing all the "layers" of this place but the scope and mess of the idea stalls me. Would there be any benefit to it?

The attic isn't super spacious and the ductwork is huge and bulky and would definitely take out some of the ceiling insulation in the process (rock wool batts with loose cellulose on top). Ceiling drywall is removed from the majority of the house except for the bedrooms. I wondered about warm air seeping into the attic through the old registers even when they are "closed". Should we just cut out the old ceiling registers and patch the drywall? Can you cap them? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thx!

Old 11-01-16, 01:12 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Removal is best and patching the ceiling is very important to prevent air leaks into the attic. Removal will also allow you to bring the entire attic insulation level up to recommended levels.

Register dampers alone will not stop all air flow. If it is getting too late in the season to do the job correctly you can use the cheap cloth duct tape to seal off the registers (or ducts) until next spring when you remove all the ductwork.

Old 11-01-16, 08:09 PM
S
Received 71 Votes on 67 Posts
Another option you may have is to remove the supply pipes from the trunk line and cover the holes with sheet metal. You get what they call panning which is nothing more than flat sheets of sheet metal and then remove the registers and patch the ceiling.
This is all contingent upon if you are going to use the attic and you have all the insulation you'll need up there. That way you can leave everything there that's not causing any problems and not worry about heat loss.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: