Wet attic

Old 01-30-17, 11:58 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wet attic

Our roof is about 5 years old it's a metal tin roof. This winter my husband noticed the plywood was wet. We didn't have gable vents so installed them. Now it's back after a snow. I can see condensation all the way down the ridge cap but now there is mainly one corner of plywood wet, at the end of the house. We don't know what else to do

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-17, 12:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
First you need to figure out if you have a leak(s) or if it's condensation.

I have seen some steel roofs where the roof panels on each side ended several inches short leaving about 4" down the middle without roofing. The cap covered it but because of the ridges there was an open pocket between each ridge where rain could blow up in and get underneath the metal roofing. Apparently they forgot to install the gasket filler strip to seal the gaps.

Old 01-30-17, 12:42 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Some pictures would help

Bud

Old 01-30-17, 01:13 PM
H
I'm sorry but how do I send pictures on here?

Old 01-30-17, 01:48 PM
B
I'm the wrong one to ask . A host like photobucket is one way and then post the link here. For individual pictures I have saved on my computer I resize them to fewer pixels and then click the "insert images" box above third from right, browse to find my saved picture and click on it.

The more experienced pc users will improve those instructions if they don't work.

Bud

Old 01-30-17, 02:27 PM
H
Name:  IMG_2423.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  26.4 KB you can s the condensation on the ridge cap & the corner is very wet. Name:  IMG_2429.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  34.2 KB

Old 01-30-17, 02:45 PM
B
I should have been more specific. We know you have moisture but I need to see how the house is put together. Assuming it is condensation, which you suspect, there is warm moisture laden air from inside the home reaching a cold surface somewhere above where you are seeing the water/moisture.

If the condensation is forming on the osb rather than dripping down from above, then the osb is just too cold.

Temporary steps can be to reduce the humidity inside the home/that room.

Are you using a humidifier?
Do you have a meter to read the humidity level?

Give us a couple pictures from farther back and I'll see if that helps my old mind.

Bud

Old 01-31-17, 04:33 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The humidity is to high in the house. Increase the ventilation in the house tell the condensation stops. Open a window a 1/4 of an inch for a day should work well.

Old 02-01-17, 09:45 AM
H
Name:  IMG_2444.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2456.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  31.3 KB

We haven't tested the humidity but that it next on my list. This is a 1500sq ft house, ridge cap does have the strips. The picture with the gable is where it was really wet. Porch is open into the attic there on the right. Here is my theory please tell me if it doesn't make sense. I believe maybe we have a leak in the corner which lets the moisture in the it condensates in the whole attic.I haven't found a leak yet though.

Old 02-01-17, 10:54 AM
B
The area under the gables have no soffit vents to allow air to come in thus that area will be more prone to condensation.

A 1,500 ft² attic should have approximately 10 ft² of net free vent area, with half of that being low vents and the other half being high vents. AND the low vents should be distributed along the length of the house front and back.

It looks like the ventilation could be improved but you do have some. The real source of that moisture is from inside your home so two steps are needed.

1. Reduce the humidity inside your home. As airman said, open a window if necessary. The RH meter will tell you how much that helps. Run your bath exhaust fans (vented to the outside) for 20 minutes after showers. Make sure your dryer is vented to the outside. And look for other sources of moisture, we can go over the list is the RH is above 40%.
2. For that moisture to get into the attic there must be air leaks and all homes have them. The larger ones are around plumbing vents or chimneys, or due to other plumbing and electrical penetrations. Have you tried to do any air sealing?

You mention a ridge cap, but not a ridge vent. A ridge vent is a good place to allow the attic moisture out.

Bud