Help Installing Vent For Portable Room AC

Old 06-15-17, 07:36 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Installing Vent For Portable Room AC

I have a LG portable ac unit with the exhaust hose but no window panels that serve to secure it to the window.

I would like to construct a piece that will allow me to secure the hose and lower the window then insulate around it as efficiently as possible. The window is a vertical open/close type and has a inside measurement of 34 5/8" from side to side.
I am attaching a picture of the exhaust hose(the left end of the hose in the picture is the end i will need to secure to the window) that will need to be mounted to the piece I hope to build.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Name:  LG Portable AC Hose.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  10.8 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 06-15-17 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Enlarge image.
Old 06-15-17, 08:27 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
First suggestion would be to return it and get a two hose model. The single hose models are inefficient and don't cool well.

Is the picture of what was included? If so why won't it work? If all the pieces weren't included have you ask the seller for the missing parts. If you you have those parts you could glue foam insulating board board to them.

Old 06-16-17, 05:50 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I got the unit from my sister who had this as part of a small restaurant equipment buyout and it only had the exhaust hose and not the window panels. For her install,she cut the wall and used a double sided flange and dryer vent damper. I do not own the house where I want to install it and need to do so in a way that does not cause any damage.

What i am wondering is if I might cut a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" thick plywood(whichever would fit most snugly in the side window channels) to width and 4 to 6 inches wider than the widest measurement of the flange that would normally attach to the panel with the cutout in the picture. Then scribe the discharge opening onto the plywood and cut it out with my jig saw. There is a lip with holes on opposite sides of the flange where it would normally be screwed to the window panel.Providing I could do so and get a fairly tight fitment,I would then use the foam board and foam tape to seal around the window and flange.

Thoughts?

Old 06-16-17, 11:38 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes, 3/8" plywood would be okay but ¾" would be better for the method I'm going to describe. Cut it wide enough to fit all the way across into the window tracks then cut it in two. This will allow you to slip it in the window tracks. Then after it is in the tracks splice it together with a 4" wide strip of ¾" plywood using screws. That will lock it in the tracks.

Paint all pieces before assembly. Use exterior grade plywood. Fasten the splice to one side piece before inserting that side piece.. Use a broomstick or ¾" dowel at the top of the sash to wedge the sash firmly against the top of the plywood.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-16-17 at 12:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: