Can I change my dryer vent location?

Old 07-17-17, 01:07 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I change my dryer vent location?

Hi all! This is my first post here so I hope it works out.

I live in a townhouse complex and I just found out that my dryer vent vents out directly onto my neighbors front porch. Needless to say that during these hot summer months she probably doesn't need me adding heat when my dryer is running.

Earlier in the year (of course during the worst winter we've had in years) our furnace died, so we got a new high efficiency furnace installed. The old furnace had a fresh air intake vent leading to it that is no longer in use. This vent exits above my neighbors roof and would be great if I could use it. I'm just not sure if I need an open vent letting fresh air into my laundry room, and if I do can I just use the existing dryer vent for the fresh air intake. So basically in a nutshell, can I just swap my dryer vent tube from the existing dryer vent to the fresh air vent? Or can I use that top vent for my dryer and then just block off the original dryer vent?

Here are the pictures showing my gas hot water heater, new gas furnace, and washer/dryer. You can see the new PVC exhaust for the new furnace, right beside that is the fresh air vent that went to the old furnace which is currently not connected to anything.

Here are pictures of my existing dryer vent. On the outside the vent is hiding behind the little 3 picket fence piece beside her mirror.

And here you can see the new PVC vent and the old fresh air vent above her roof . That is the vent I want to use as the dryer vent.

Old 07-17-17, 01:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Maybe. Looks like you need to remove a screen inside the duct and put a new outlet on it.

Is it metal the whole way? What's the total rise and number of 90° turns compared to the capacity of you dryer for such things?

Old 07-17-17, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We have been recommending photobucket for offsite hosting but they no longer allow third party hosting. Therefore your pictures can't be seen. It would be advisable to locate another photo hosting site.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-17-17 at 06:59 PM. Reason: update

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: