Basement return

Old 07-22-17, 05:28 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement return

So ive been reading online and read mixed things. I have 6 supplies on my first floor and 4 returns. In the basement I have 2 supplies (right next to each other on a corner wall and 1 return.

I keep the supplies closed because if I don't I get very minimal airflow upstairs.

That leads me to the return in the basement, block it or keep it open if I have the supplies closed?

After all these years I cant find a happy medium for the basement/airflow upstairs and it's maddening. With the supplies closed downstairs the airflow upstairs is great. As soon as I so much crack open the supplies downstairs (via damper on duct) the airflow upstairs goes to crap!

Old 07-22-17, 05:45 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can't see any reason to block the return lines. How is the temp on the first floor?

Old 07-22-17, 06:20 PM
K
Itll reach thermostat level (74 on ac) itll run for about 10-13minutes (same with heat on 70) with the basement vents closed. If they are open then unit will run for like 30 minutes

Old 07-23-17, 06:31 AM
S
Did the problem just start? How long have you been there?

Old 07-23-17, 07:15 AM
K
Nope the problem has been persistent all 8 years or so Ive been here.

The finished basement has a huge branch from the trunk in the unfinished basement all to itself so it gets insane airflow if you open it.

Im just trying to figure out the best methods but opening it just destroys airflow upstairs

Old 07-23-17, 07:27 AM
S
Is it possible that the problem didn't exist until someone finished the basement? Building walls could have interrupted the original air flow design.

Old 07-23-17, 07:41 AM
K
Maybe. If I had to guess it was added on simply based on the fact there's baseboard heat in the basement.

Old 07-23-17, 07:58 AM
S
Just from what you have said so far, I think that there were changes made to the house which caused the problem. If a wall was built that could have interrupted the air flow, a vent in that wall might solve it. Before you do that or anything else, it might pay to have someone who actually designs AC systems, look at it. Get a price for the consultation first.

Old 07-24-17, 04:11 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If the supply's are closed then the return will not pull anything unless you have leaks in the duct or air coming from upstairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: