What are some good central air filter system?

Old 10-16-17, 12:19 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are some good central air filter system?

I found that my house is very dusty. What are some of the good central air filter system that I can install? My current system uses a 16x20 inch filter that goes between the furnace and the blower (I think). I would like something that is a bit better. Recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Old 10-16-17, 01:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Changing the filter out regularly is your best bet. I wouldn't rely on any filter to keep your house dust free. You might need to find and eliminate the source.

Old 10-16-17, 01:48 PM
C
I have two room size air filters and dehumidifiers and my house is still quite dusty. Thus, instead of buying individual air filters for each room, I was thinking of a central air filter system instead. I really don't know where the source is. It could be the carpet but we vacuum the carpet like three four times a week...maybe more. Our hold house didn't have this much of dust and it's even an holder house than this one.

Old 10-16-17, 03:56 PM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
Ive had them all, electrostatic, cartridge, high efficiency, none really proved to be better than the others.

The thing to remember, a filter will only work as long as the furnace is running. Count up the minutes per day and you will find that no matter what you install there just isn't a lot of run time to make a difference.

Go for a mid grade filter, keep the windows closed, vacuum with a good HEPA filter will help.

Old 10-16-17, 04:00 PM
Received 342 Votes on 308 Posts
Agree with Marq. You can't expect a furnace filter to actually filter a whole house (be it one or two story) from just that one cold air return. If you need superior air filtering then you must do a room by room filter system.

Old 10-16-17, 05:21 PM
C
Many thanks for all the responses. So, how about a totally separate central air filtration system? Is there such a thing exist? If so, usually how much do they run?

Old 10-16-17, 05:28 PM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
how about a totally separate central air filtration system?
So the only option that ever was suggested that made some sense was to wire up the furnace blower so that it ran at low speed all the time and then kicked up to high speed during AC/heat mode.

Old 10-17-17, 05:42 AM
C
Marq1, so I just purchased the Nest thermostat. Users of Nest of have said I can schedule only the fan to run. If this is true, then perhaps I can purchase something like the Aprilaire 5000 Air Cleaner to help clean the air. My current air filter is a 16x20x1" and perhaps the Aprilaire 5000 might work? Any other brand/model that's better than this one?

Old 10-17-17, 07:00 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marksr
Changing the filter out regularly is your best bet. I wouldn't rely on any filter to keep your house dust free. You might need to find and eliminate the source.
It would be easier to eliminate them if they were identified and ranked. Has there ever been a study identifying these sources of dust? I'd like to do what I can--other than getting rid of my dog.

I got a new furnace 11 months ago and have run the fan 24/7 through an expensive 5" pleated filter. No change that I can tell.

Old 10-17-17, 08:57 AM
C
That is true. However, I don't know where to start. We've been out of the house for three weeks on vacation and when we came back, it's still dusty so yeah, it's not the dog. :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: