Are vent filters a good or bad idea?

Old 10-30-17, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are vent filters a good or bad idea?

Hi,
I have return and supply vents in my home floors and I worry about dirt/dust getting into them and dirtying up the vents. I was thinking about putting in some vent filters, but I'm getting different opinions about this. Does anyone know if it's a good or bad idea to add vent filters?

Thanks in advance!!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-17, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
My opinion -- bad idea. Instead use a high quality filter on the intake side of the HVAC system which won't let any dust into the system. No dust in -- no dust blowing out. The system is designed for the pressure drop of the filter on the intake side. Adding filters on the output side adds head pressure to the blower which reduces air flow and increases wasteful duct leakage of hot air.

Old 10-30-17, 01:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
If you keep your house somewhat clean there shouldn't be an issue with dirt/dust settling into the ducts from the exit side and accidental spills can usually be cleaned up if you remove the grille.

Old 10-30-17, 01:56 PM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Agree with both previous post. However, don't expect a furnace filter to purify or clean the house hold air you breath. Regardless of what the manufactures say the filter is to protect and keep the blower and heating plenum clean. So an expensive filter will do little to help your overall air quality. But the cheapies will do just as well to keep out the dust and dog/cat hair from the blower and heating plenum. I guess what I'm saying is buy the better quality and it will help a little, but the cheap ones will do what they are suppose to do.

Old 10-31-17, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all your valuable replies/advice! I guess i'll stick with just the filter for the HVAC system then.

Old 11-01-17, 01:01 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You only want to use a $4- $5 dollar filter. Your system isn't designed for a high dollar filter. Those high dollar filters are unit killers.