6” bathroom wall vent for very cold, very windy, very noisy area

Old 11-05-17, 08:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
6” bathroom wall vent for very cold, very windy, very noisy area

To whom it may concern:
I am hoping to find a replacement wall vent for my bathroom. I live on a main street in a very cold and very windy climate. I hope you might be able to recommend a replacement vent with fan that can help prevent cold air intrusion and also offer some sound reduction. It is my house and I can make any modifications I wish. There is no HOA governing my every move, either. The current vent works fine for getting steam out of the bathroom after a shower but I can hear people breathing loudly outside through it and I also feel cold air coming in through the flaps.

I know I shoud look for a wall vent which has spring loaded flaps but there are so many and I’d prefer to spend a little more to get something which will last a long time and won’t disappoint.

I thank you ahead of time for your help!

Old 11-06-17, 03:51 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts.
I did a quick search and liked this, metal, spring, and cushion for damper.
Wall Vents - Copper Wall Vents, Galvanized Vents and Stainless Steel Wall Vents by Luxury Metals

They then list a heavy duty luxury model.
Wind Proof and Pest Proof Wall Vents with Spring and Seal by Luxury Metals

The stainless steel option should certainly last many years.

However, I doubt it would dampen the sounds from outside much more than what you have, just be sure your current unit is closing properly.

Another more drastic fix would be a motorized damper that opens when the fan is running and closes when not. It should seal better and improve both air leakage and noise. But installing it would likely involve some construction work.

Bud

Old 11-19-17, 08:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update: I got a replacement exterior damper which definitely helped with the air infiltration but it didn't stop the cold or road noise from coming in. I ended up doing my own McGuyvering. I took a 6" tupperwear bowl container and cut out the center of the lid. I screwed and glued this onto the interior wall vent face perimeter. I then filled the actual container with several inches of Great Stuff expanding foam. Now whenever I am not using the fan I just snap on bowl to the face of the fan and it works GREAT!

After several searches I cannot find anything like this. Think there's a market for it?

Attached Images   
Old 11-19-17, 10:38 PM
Received 497 Votes on 461 Posts
Something is not right with the exterior vent , something is not closing properly if you are getting wind an noise,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: