Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

So should I open or close basement supply?!

12-07-17, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)  
So should I open or close basement supply?!

See im totally confused by this. I have a return and a supply in my basement (finished) but if I open up the supply vent in the basement it absolutely destroys air flow upstairs. Like hardly will come out compared to that vent being closed. Why?!

Am I actually better keeping that vent open even though it destroys air flow on first floor?! Im assuming my furnace (gas forced hot air) would run longer/come on more often because the thermostat is upstairs where now the airflow would be a lot less? Btw all my supplies come through the ceiling on the first floor. Am I actually spending more energy this way too(basement closed.) Btw there is a closed door that seperates basement and first floor (single story L Ranch)

Ive heard so many conflicting things on what I should do.(including here)Someone please enlighten me!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

12-07-17, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)  
How much heat do you need in the basement ?
Instead of opening the vent all the way...... open it partially.
Allow it to heat the basement gradually.

My basement is below ground and I don't have any open supplies to it. Being below ground it stay pretty warm. I have one that can be opened if needed but rarely, if ever, gets opened. Absolutely nothing is open in the basement in the summer time.

~ Pete ~

12-07-17, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Not a lot of heat. Itís around 62 right now. But closing it wonít create a negative pressure? I have a return down there as well. Also was curious if it was bad for my system?

Thanks!

MI

12-08-17, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)  
There is no bad, it's just balancing the air flow.

If you dont spend a lot time in the basement then close the register, you want to put heat where people are.

12-08-17, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Thanks! I will play around with the damper a bit and figure out a happy medium. Its just that the supplies come through the ceiling upstairs so was wondering if itd be worth to send more downstairs

Group Moderator

WI

12-08-17, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)  
I open up everything in the basement in the winter and everything upstairs in the summer. Conversely, I'm closing two or three vents on the other floor during those seasons to balance.

12-08-17, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Thanks. Yea I donít really use the basement much. I go down on the computer a few times a day but thats it. In the future when the kids are older I will use it more. I was just under the heat stack effect would make a difference.

No Im asking a million questions but since thermostat is upstairs (in the warmest part of the house in a hallway) would I maybe better opening the basement vent and getting lower flow upstairs, causing it to run a bit longer? Just trying to think of all scenarios where everything is actually pleasant feeling.

Group Moderator

WI

Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)  
That's the idea - my thermostat is upstairs so by closing some of the vents up there, the furnace has to run longer because a greater percentage of the air is now being dumped downstairs.

MI

Today, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Personally I'd cover most of the basement return as well. To insure you have good draw upstairs.

Search this Thread