American Standard Heritage 12 Heat Pump blowing cold air

Old 01-10-18, 08:54 AM
American Standard Heritage 12 Heat Pump blowing cold air

Hi Experts,

We have a duel fuel system. The heat pump is an american Heritage 12 seer 4 ton unit installed sometime in 2004. Since yesterday evening, it's been blowing cold air.

Among symptoms, there is an hissing sound from the condenser unit outside.

It's a 2 zone system, basement+main level and upstairs on zone 2. Each zone is on a ecobee 3 thermostat.

Any pointers as to how I could force auxiliary heat. Or any troubleshooting that I could perform myself to get started with?

I have attached a picture of the model details for the conderser unit.

Appreciate any help.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-18, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Dual fuel is a gas furnace and heat pump. Is that what you have ?
You shouldn't need to force the AUX on..... if the room temperature is 3f or more below the set point... the AUX is activated.

This being a dual fuel zoned system will have special considerations.
Have those stats worked properly before ?
Many times stat #1 controls the system and needs special wiring.
If the stats are programmed correctly.... E heat should be the gas furnace.

A lot more system details needed here.

Old 01-10-18, 12:28 PM
Yeah, sorry about that, adding more details now. Basically, there is a control board that controls zone 1 vs zone 2. The ecobee is connected with only the W1 wire on the thermostat side. Also, I just checked and there is no more hissing sound at condenser and the air is warmer too although not as hot as it used to be.

I have attached some more pics of the control board and the connections at the thermostat.

Attached Images   
Old 01-10-18, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
There is a switch on the bottom right..... norm/E.... when put in E should force the AUX/gas heat on. I believe that zoning board controls the AUX thru a timer system. I need to check further. I could use a larger picture of the zone control or maybe one of the top half and one of the bottom half.

Old 01-13-18, 11:54 AM
Thanks, I have been running it on emergency heat (gas furnace backup) and it's working great. But want to fix if there is any issue with the heat pump itself.

I have attached a couple of pics of the board. Please let me know your thoughts.

Attached Images    

Last edited by PJmax; 01-13-18 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added pic of switches
Old 01-13-18, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
I added a third picture with the system settings.

Reviewing what we have here. The heat pump is not coming on or comes on and doesn't sound right ?

Old 01-13-18, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the settings pic.

Current settings are

HP
DF
OFF
90s
OAS
OFF
ON
GAS

Upon reading the control board manual, currently the dip switch is set to use an outsider air sensor and temperature for 2nd stage is set to somewhere between 33 and 40 F. Today it's been too cold, have been unable to get heat pump to run. But when the heat pump alone was running (outside temp in 50s this past week), it was blowing barely warm air and could not increase temperature to above 63F despite running for a few hours in the evening. For e.g. today the furnace is running and the house is nicely warm. So, yeah the heat pump does come on but is no longer blowing hot air like it used to. The air is barely warm.

Please let me know if I could provide any other information. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by bhavinjo; 01-13-18 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
If the heat pump is actually running but producing minimal heat than
the refrigerant level needs to be checked.

Just so you are aware... a heat pump will not produce heated
air as hot as a gas furnace.

Old 01-13-18, 10:15 PM
Ok, we had a tech come out to check the condenser. All he did was check the refrigerant level and said the outdoor unit is working fine. Just to wait until the weather warms up a little and observe it for a few days and then call him if any issues.

Also, he said the r-22 refrigerant is very expensive and that I should consider changing the heat pump.

If we decide to go that route, could u pls recommend a good 14-16 seer unit. Current one is a 4 ton 12 seer unit. Home is about 4700 sq ft with finished below grade basement and about 3100 sq ft on the 2 upper levels.

​​​​

Old 01-14-18, 02:52 PM
Upon looking at the ecobee data, the day on which the alert came, the outside air temperature stayed between 42-49 F for most of the day.

So the OAS was always within the cut off range and 2nd stage gas furance never came on. Question is, is it possible to use the OAS in conjunction with the timer? Meaning after say 30 minutes, if the OAS is still within range, turn on the 2nd stage aux heat to supplement the heat pump.